Millions of dead anchovies, Redondo

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I ran by the harbor tonight and did not see any dead fish. I did not go by the north most basin, but overall there seems to be a bit of hyperbole.

There's three harbors in the same area. From south to north..
Redondo Beach
Portofino
King Harbor South/North Basin

Most of the dead fish are in the King Harbor north basin... Next to the news trucks...

IMG_0118.jpg

Saw in the L. A. Times article that the results from the O-2 level tests were back and they were far below lethal levels. I would suspect more types of critters dying from that, but perhaps all the benthic inverts are buried under piles of sardines. I hear the corpses are going to a fish meal manufacturer.

I know why they're dead! Look at 'em...they were all diving without snorkels!!

I know why they're dead! Look at 'em...they were all diving without snorkels!!

Actually, it seemed to coincide with the arrival of the news trucks - Maybe "invisible" news truck radiation!:wink:

You should read some of the comments in the various online news articles.. Scary what people think.

Actually, it seemed to coincide with the arrival of the news trucks - Maybe "invisible" news truck radiation!:wink:

You should read some of the comments in the various online news articles.. Scary what people think.

Yeah, I remember a couple months ago when large quantities of birds were dropping dead from the sky in multiple states and explanations were being offered along the lines of: "It was caused by lightning. It was caused by collision with airplanes. It was caused by FIREWORKS from New Years?!?" Uhhh...there's planes all the time and no dead birds. Lightning all the time and no dead birds. Where the hell are all the dead birds on 4th of July?!?!?! I never heard a good explanation as to why those birds died and I still haven't heard one regarding the fish. I dunno, maybe they did just run out of oxygen...afterall there's millions of dead fish there and I don't see a single PSI guage :wink:.

People whom believe they died due to a lack of oxygen, would believe almost anything the the government put out as propaganda? IMO; for this to happen and a tsunami to happen the next day imo I would think the possibility of something in the ocean (maybe plates, gases, or something similar) caused there death.

People whom believe they died due to a lack of oxygen, would believe almost anything the the government put out as propaganda?

Government propaganda (Daily Breeze) said "Billions of anchovies"... Nope - Hundreds of thousands possibly millions of sardines. Final count will be determined by the number of tons trucked to the fertilizer plant.

Government propaganda (FOX, CBS, NBC) said 3' thick... Nope - 1-2 inches of fish floating on the surface across the back of one basin. Floating fish not removed quickly started sinking to the basin floor.

IMO; for this to happen and a tsunami to happen the next day imo I would think the possibility of something in the ocean (maybe plates, gases, or something similar) caused there death.

You can believe and say whatever you like... You can also come down and check it out for yourself and maybe help with clean up... You could also stay out of the Pacific Ocean.

IMG_0120.jpg

Three basins and main channel - Main Channel, Redondo Beach, Portofino/King Harbor South, King Harbor North. Basins have small 20' openings. The large fish kill occurred at the back of the King Harbor North Basin. When the sardines arrived, they woke a number of my neighbors who live aboard in the basin as they make a huge noise like rain. They went back to sleep but woke to find the same sardines now dead floating around their boats.

I myself have experienced exactly the same event - Anchored at Cat Harbor Catalina Island and woken at 1AM in the morning to find the boat surrounded by thousands of sardines - By morning they were gone.

USC testing in place since the last fish kill event in 2005 showed the drop in oxygen levels and oxygen levels continue to remain low due to the amount of decomposing fish on the bottom.

Testing also showed that there was a toxin in the sardines which USC scientists believed may have been picked up from an algae bloom off the coast.

The night of the fish kill was a big storm and blowing pretty hard - I live 2 miles from the marina and it was enough to wake my kid.

As far as government, plates and gases. No unusual government activity observed. In my dives to rescue skateboards and other stuff that have fallen into the marina - I have observed plates, cups, and frying pans as these easily fall off the back of boats in the marina. No gases have been observed but only 1-2 miles off shore, there are oil seepages and a little gas and oil can be observed from time to time.

Following the event, the government (City of Redondo Beach) have been actively involved in "clean up" activities which include the use of pool skimmers, vacuum trucks and underwater vacuums.

IMG_0124.jpg

If you get down here anytime this week, there are still plenty of sardines you can take for your own independent testing. I heard the 215 freeway also has sardines for testing.

http://www.pasadenastarnews.com/california/ci_17597827

Dwayne (not a government agent)

Last edited:
Not only that, but the earthquake occured on Friday, while the sardines arrived late Monday night, not the day before. It must have something to do with the crisis in the Middle East. :shakehead:

Geez... what's not to believe about exhausting the oxygen in the water? Now I love a conspiracy, especially when it involves the government, but... My first thought was a toxic leak but I'll accept the O-2 testing results until someone uncovers a better answer.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom