Millions of dead anchovies, Redondo

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Yum! That's going to smell lovely in a couple days!

yea, interesting. i saw this in a really small lagoon a long time ago, a low tide had trapped a huge school of sardines, there was nothing else to explain it but loss of oxygen.

I was just down there checking my boat. There was a wild storm last night with gale force winds and it appears the storm drove a bunch of sardines into the back of the harbor where they sucked the oxygen out of the water and died. Also killed some larger fish which you could see lying on the bottom. Actual water vis is pretty good and you could see the bottom where a few fish had sunk.

Media is making out its a bigger deal than really is -

- Stacked up at the back of the harbor.
- Its about 1-2 layers of dead fish and not a foot as reported in some news articles.
- Visibility is clear and bigger fish are also impacted.
- No red tide and still plenty of the same fish swimming around under the dead layer.
- Too many billionaires as I saw media quote a billion fish. No way.

Note the fish swimming below the surface...
fish.jpg

Last edited:
Where are those darned seals when you need them!

When I first heard of this from a certain media personality, I assumed it was a toxic chemical leak. I had heard talk of a red tide, but didn't think it could have caused all these deaths. However, I was unaware that the fish were trapped inside the harbor by winds and currents. Oxygen starvation is certainly a possibility, but were invertebrates and other oxygen utilizing critters also involved in the die offs?

Any sign of sick birds from eating these fish?

Last year I anchored in the mud at the top of cat harbor. In the middle of the night I heard what I thought was rain so I got up to investigate. Hundreds of feet in all directions, sardines were jumping on the water. In the morning, there was no trace of them.

This evening I went down to the marina to check on clean up progress. In the outer harbor, the water was alive with sardines jumping on the surface and the sea lions were lazily feeding on them.

The inner harbor has a few floating sardines but a you can see many of the dead have sunk to the bottom. Feedback this evening is in the next 3-4 days, the biomass on the bottom will start to gas and float back to the surface. Fillet-o-fish anyone?

Water is still pretty clear.

Dwayne

I ran by the harbor tonight and did not see any dead fish. I did not go by the north most basin, but overall there seems to be a bit of hyperbole.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom