Suggestion Military - Speak & Be Heard!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

OP
Firebrand

Firebrand

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
To the Administrators/Moderators - Us divers who served in the military for our countries, would like to have our own Forum. Consider this a formal request. Military service men & women, please show your desire for our own forum by posting on the thread.

Blase J. Kusterle III
CPT / O3
United States Army
Active Duty

The issue has been broached in the managment forum. However it comes right at a time when we are discussing trimming down the number of forums to make navigating ScubaBoard easier!

What is the compelling rationale for having a separate forum for those who are in the militaries of various countries?

Are you talking active military, retired or active and retired?

Would having your posts in a separate forum deprive the rest of ScubaBoardians the wisdom you folks have to offer if it were posted in the general forums?

It there a way to recognize and show appreciation to those in the military apart from designating a special forum?

The purpose would be to add a dive club for military members. Often when we are moving to a new location (which seems to be more frequent than our civilian counterparts) we would like to know who too link-up with concerning local diving. The bond between service personnel simply cannot be explained to those who have never served their country through the military. But I will attempt. There is an instilled trust and mutual respect through the discipline and training military members have endured. The teamwork and trust developed by "relying" on your buddy for military matters is not found in the civilian world. Simply knowing your buddy would gladly sacrifice his life to save yours creates a bond that may as well be blood. I know a person with military service will do everything they possibly can to save their buddy. I'm not saying that a civilian wouldn't do the same, but military are trained to overcome their fears when a situation turns to ****, over-riding the desire to panic. That, my friend, only begins to explain the bond. That is why we deserve our own forum!

If not our own forum, please create a "private" group any military service person can contact a moderator to join. (Not sure how we'll establish proof of service, but would be worth trying).

Firebrand:
The purpose would be to add a dive club for military members. Often when we are moving to a new location (which seems to be more frequent than our civilian counterparts) we would like to know who too link-up with concerning local diving.
I don't see the need for a another group specific forum. There are forums here that can link one with pretty much any place in the world.
FWIW I'm retired military.

my 3 cents on this would be... if you can make a SUB forum.. we dont need to have an entire dedicated forum just to us though. (US Navy active duty). would kind of be nice to have a special area of the board to network with other military members.

MA2 Portmann
USN Force protection/Harbor Security

I guess I wasn't gonna comment but find it necessary to say that if we can have a section dedicated to DIR which is basically private enterprise and free advertisement for GUE and Halcyon - we could spare a few bits for those who have sacrificed lots to keep our world safe - which ever country they may have been serving.

A hearty Hoo Ah! to all.

Just my opinion.

USAF Retired and still at the same job in Civilian Service.

Uncle Pug:
The issue has been broached in the managment forum. However it comes right at a time when we are discussing trimming down the number of forums to make navigating ScubaBoard easier!

What is the compelling rationale for having a separate forum for those who are in the militaries of various countries?

Are you talking active military, retired or active and retired?

Would having your posts in a separate forum deprive the rest of ScubaBoardians the wisdom you folks have to offer if it were posted in the general forums?

It there a way to recognize and show appreciation to those in the military apart from designating a special forum?

Firebrand:
To the Administrators/Moderators - Us divers who served in the military for our countries, would like to have our own Forum. Consider this a formal request. Military service men & women, please show your desire for our own forum by posting on the thread.
I'm not in the service, but I deal with the navy and coast guard as part of my job. (Not only USA, but Canada and other countries as well.) I consider it a great priviledge to have met lots of officers and sailors who are divers and I've developed great respect for the sacrifice they all make on our behalf. (I've got US Navy Deep Sea Divers, NAVSPECWAR and Coast Guard t-shirts to prove it!)

This isn't too much to ask for, especially if you consider the contribution of the services to the diving technology we all use and enjoy. If a vote from a civilian counts, you have mine, but why not leave it open to people in the services from other countries as well?

Tom Smedley:
A hearty Hoo Ah! to all.

Just my opinion.

USAF Retired and still at the same job in Civilian Service.

Ah, smurfs. I love you one and all. It's "HOOAH" Tom. One word.

We need our own section. Not an entire forum, just a sub-section. Firebrand said it best, I would trust my life to someone who served their country as I did before some random dive buddy down at the local diving hole.

Ther are clubs divided by region under the Dive Club section. Why not offer a section to military, which seldom belong to a region for any length of time? It wouldn't especially interest me...when I retired, I put it all behind me. And I wouldn't choose one dive budy over another because he/she is or was military. But unless there's a compelling reason not to give them a forum, why not do it?

Regards,

Phil
MSgt (Retired)

As anyone with a brain can see from my profile, I am serving my second tour in Iraq as part of the Multi-National Forces-Iraq. Having said that, a place where all military personnel (regardless of their nationality) can get together and network would be a valuable resource (not to mention an excellent PR move by ScubaBoard). We are not asking to be exclusive of civilians, only to have a dedicated sub-group where military members and civilians supporting the military can network. As a combat veteran (of the major ground war in Iraq where I was neck deep in the **** for months on end) I don't think it is a lot to ask considering what all military members have sacrificed to allow everyone the freedom of even having a place such as ScubaBoard. Firebrand said it best in that those who never served can understand the bond between military members. I would rather trust my life with a dive buddy who has served in a military capacity, regardless of country, before I would a civilian because I know that they are well disciplined and don't take another person's life with wreckless abandon. Obviously we all have different views and opinions but asking for a sub-group doesn't seem to be that big of a request to me.

Back
Top Bottom