Might Be Moving To Mobile

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

long day, some 700 or so miles. left at 0730 yesterday, back at 0150 today

Mobile interview went great, I don't see any way they don't make an offer (this was the 3rd interview, 2 on phone, last in person).

Turned out the CIO of the Orange Beach company wanted to meet me, so we went out to dinner/interview in Spanish Ft, just across the bay from Mobile.

That went well, he's interested but it will take some time to go forward with it. I think I'd like either position & company, but a few small things have me preferring the Mobile one right now.

Stopped at bass pro shop east of Mobile. They had put some 22LR on the shelf in the morning, it sold out in the morning. Mostly empty spaces where primers should be on the shelves.

They did have a few AR's & said that they had had some mags on the shelf for a whole week, so some things seem to be improving. I think that some people have decided that they have enough, some who have been turning it over for gouge prices are finding that they can't find buyers any more, which leaves some who got none finally picking up a bit here & there.

Any whoozle, the LDS in Mobile is said to be a great shop, which is good. I'll miss affordable nitrox, but will always value skilled techs who do excellent work servicing gear & my regs are in real need of service now. Looking forward to getting to know them & with luck we'll have many years in the future of dealing with each other :wink:

Glad to hear that things are going well with the Job!

I haven't even tried to buy any ammo in the past year: I filled my zombie cans a couple years ago, so I've just been riding this one out.

I'm willing to be that you enjoy both livening in the area as well as doing business with GCD.

Even though I'm "cheap" when It comes to gas fills, I still spend a considerable amount of time and money up there on other things. Like any place, It's just a matter of knowing what the shop's strong points are.

will be fun finding a house to rent. we know nothing of the area.

---------- Post added July 4th, 2013 at 06:11 PM ----------

after the first interview, we had 4 hrs to kill before meeting for the 2nd. so we rode around mobile a bit, then rode down towards dauphin island. not all the way, went about 30 miles & turned.

would like to take a day & go to the island, see what's there. I've heard it's nice but no specifics about it.

---------- Post added July 4th, 2013 at 06:47 PM ----------

We also drove past the USS Alabama.

In 1971, my dad got orders to Turkey. We drove cross country & I remember stopping to see the Alabama. I don't think I knew what city we were in, but that battle ship made quite an impression on a 10 year old boy :wink:

We move down there, I'll have to go & see it again. As an adult & veteran, I'll appreciate it much more than I did then.

Re: Living stuff

You can PM me (here or on facebook) and I might be able to answer a few questions about different parts of town.

Re: Dauphin Island

The island is a cool place. Mostly non-commercialized, it is a FAR cry (and welcome relief) from the madness that is Gulf Shores / Orange Beach during the tourist season. There's great diving to be down out of Dauphin Island, as well. . . however it is not typically the kind of stuff that would support an OW charter business. Most of the dives out of the island are at least 10 miles out. Typically we're live-boating gas rigs, private numbers, or older artificial reefs like the liberty ship that's out there. Viz can be anywhere between 10' and 100' (sometimes on the same dive). The spearfishing is excellent if you know where to go.

Re: USS Alabama

Go. You'll love it. The battle ship has three self guided tour routes, so you can take your time. The USS Drum is open on-site and open as well. They've added a lot of other planes and things over the years, as well. Definitely worth your time.

812 miles on this trip.

sounds like my kind of diving :wink:

once I get our regs serviced we'll have to do a few shore dives just to get back in the feel of things. We've done very little diving the last 2 years.

things are in progress, I may start on monday.

as much as I hate moving, I am looking forward to moving down there.

GCD is a great shop with good knowledgeable folks. If you don't like their prices go somewhere else. A small business that has been around as long as they have knows their market and their customers. If you do not get the job maybe you can help them with their business plan. Jeeeeze!

Interesting. Sock Puppet?

Awfully vitriol post for what is simply a discussion, and especially with everyone in agreement that Gulf Coast Divers is a great shop!

my guess is someone who likes the shop & takes offense at percepted slurs against it. which I haven't offered.

I do think that there may be room for improvement on the nitrox situation, but that's hardly damning as the same is true of other shops & not the singular issue in dealing with a shop.

but consider, if costly fills drive a customer into a shop with more affordable fills, just what other business might that shop end up getting from that customer that could have been yours?

but I do undertsand, I think. I've been diving out of Sea Divers in Ozark, AL for some years. I don't like criticism of the shop much, though sometimes it's justified.

---------- Post added July 10th, 2013 at 10:12 AM ----------

and we have a deal. Most likely will start on monday.

Reactions: Jax

Back
Top Bottom