Miflex XTREME Diving Hoses?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

hose protectors = unnecessary

In fact it's possible that a hose protector would hide a problem that would be noticeable on visual inspection up until the point that it actually becomes a problem underwater.

What are you saying? All those hoses that fail from being cut by the crimped metal are faking it?

I think he's saying you're better off being able to see if there is a problem vs. a hose protector that may or may not protect your hose but can hide the actual condition of a hose.

Back on topic, I don't think Miflex hoses need any strain relief.

Back on topic, I don't think Miflex hoses need any strain relief.
I have to agree. The Miflex hoses have braided nylon sheathing that both strengthens them and runs underneath the connections making it unlikely to get cut at the crimp. However that same sheathing could possibly, I'm just speculating here, hide dry rot.

What are you saying? All those hoses that fail from being cut by the crimped metal are faking it?

Ever seen one "fail from being cut by crimped metal" yourself?

Based on my experience with the Miflex on my pony so far, I agree that the Miflex hoses don't need a strain reliever, but I can also see where they might be useful for all the hoses off your first stage, just to force the hose to extend out a bit from the reg, otherwise those floppy hoses might tend to get a bit tangled all bunched up there by the first stage.

>*< Fritz

...but I can see where they might be useful for all the hoses off your first stage, just to force the hose to extend out a bit from the reg, otherwise those floppy hoses might tend to get a bit tangled all bunched up there by the first stage.

How on Earth could the hoses get "tangled" or "all bunched up"??

On any reg I've ever seen the ports are such that even the "floppy-est" of hoses are at least pointing in different directions. Combine that with the added "directional assistance" of the metal fittings at the end and I just can't see any additional value that a hose protector has to offer here.

the only value I see in hose protectors is where people leave their reg "hanging" on the wall by their first stage. (with their 2nd stages dangling). It might provide some relief there against the hose being pulled against the metal crimp.

Most people don't store their regs this way, but some do.....

while diving, I don't see much advantage. except to maybe protect the crimp from a 'bump' of hitting something in an overhead environment.

Dunno, but when I start replacing my hoses I'm going to try it both ways, with and without the hose protectors, and see what works best. It still seems like there may be some advantage for my primary reg hose, for example, to extend straight out towards the side rather than droop down immediately from the first stage. Since I've already got protectors on my current rig, there's not much harm in trying.

>*< Fritz

The braided exterior of the Miflex hose is not solid like a "rubber hose".

I would think that with a hose protector on it, you'd need to go to extra effort to rinse the MiFlex hose under the protector to remove any sand/salt/grime/silt/stuff.... just my thoughts.

...for example, to extend straight out towards the side rather than droop down immediately from the first stage...

While Miflex hoses are certainly much more flexible than regular hoses, they aren't like wet noodles! They will still "extend straight out towards the side" far enough to avoid any potential problem you're imagining might exist.

Back
Top Bottom