Miflex XTREME Diving Hoses?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ScubaGypsy

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
From this link, the benefits of Miflex XTREME low pressure inflator and regulator hoses are listed as follows:

* An average lifespan 3x longer than traditional hoses.
* More than 30% lighter weight and exceptional flexibility compared to traditional hoses.
* Outstanding resistance to kinks, abrasion, and UV.
* Burst pressure of 3600 psi is several times that of traditional hoses.

Personally I find each of these attributes worthwhile but am curious of whether anyone has experience with them.

Is there a difference between Miflex and Miflex EXTREME.

I've been considering these.

Is there a difference between Miflex and Miflex EXTREME.

I've been considering these.

No they are the same thing. I have them a 22" backup, 40" primary and 22" inflator, very flexible in the water dont notice any reg pull, light, and given that they are only a little more expensive than standard hoses from a standard Dive shop I reckon theyre worth it, Id recommend.

Here's a post I put up a few weeks back on another thread on the same subject...

--------------------

So finally had the chance to swap out all of my LP hoses for Miflex hoses that I picked up at Diveseekers.com mentioned in a previous post (which happens to be my LDS), and dive with them in both single and doubles configurations.

- 7' long hose
- 22" alternate hose
- 22" quick-disconnect inflator hose
- 29" drysuit hose

XSSQDH.jpg

Here's some initial thoughts:

Weight: The entirety of my regulator set-up is noticeably lighter, even just in my reg bag - which is actually easier to pack now too. Not enough to warrant the change-over in and of itself, but noticeable, and as much as I travel for work with my gear in tow this will be a benefit.

Routing: set-up for singles and doubles is bit easier, especially without any of the somewhat precarious bends required with certain regs in a doubles configuration. Short hose lays a lot nicer over the shoulder with no tugging to the right when using the alternate and less stress on the routing of the hose from the 1st stage.

Streamlining: the 7' primary hose lays flatter and neater than a standard hose, especially up around the neck and/or when not in use and clipped off. Tucks/stows nicely, not "floaty" at all. (Somewhat easier to deploy to an OOA diver as well.) For drysuit hose: 29" quick-release hose with a "Hose Hat" added is 7" shorter than a standard DUI drysuit hose and stays nicely right at your side; no getting hung up with anything else

Inflator hose: 22" quick-disconnect is perfect for doubles or singles rig. I had always had minor difficulties when using a standard 22" hose - either bending too harshly off first stage with doubles, or bowing on a singles rig due to excess length. I use a 12" corrugate hose on a standard elbow on both set-ups and the 22" Miflex is fine on either.

Based on a few dozen dives with the hoses outlined above, I also plan on swapping out the hose on my stage bottle as well. Should be easier to deploy/stow.

They are also packed in decent sized little "dry bags" that come in handy for carrying paperwork, wallet, anything else you don't want to get wet out on a boat. Would I go out of my way for them just based on that? No, but there are a very nice add in.

Good deal on Miflex Hoses w/free shipping

myflex1.jpg

Last week I switched over all my low pressure hoses for both my doubles and singles regulators which came to a total of 8 Miflex hoses. I used my doubles on Saturday and found that the 29" hose for my drysuit inflation was faulty. It appears that the spring fitting is bad as I can push it in hard and it will operate but it will not work if it is just connected. I switched it with the 29" Miflex hose that I had installed on my singles regulator to continue my dives and am now in the process of exchanging this faulty hose with a replacement. Although this is just a minor hassle, it does make me wonder what the "over 30 performance and safety tests on every hose" advertised statement that these hoses are reported to undergo include as this bad fitting should have been easily detected in their quality assurance process.

This one bad hose aside, I do very much like these hoses and placed an order for an additional 5' regulator hose for my sling bottle.

The only negative thing I've heard about them is from a diver who uses scooters often, and apparently the softer miflex hoses flap around too much when scootering. That may have been from a thread here on SB in fact.

As a trial, I had a short yellow miflex installed on my new bailout pony rig, and so far, so good. The pony reg doesn't have a swivel, but with that flexi hose, doesn't really need one either. Now I'm considering replacing my primary reg hose as well (and eliminating the swivel on it).

The only other problem with the miflex hoses right now is that you're limited in options to just LP hoses (no high pressure), and only standard fittings (e.g. I can't get one for my AquaLung AirSource, several other integrated octos use non-standard fittings as well).

Let's hope these hoses are a success and the manufacturer is encouraged to deliver even more options in the future.

>*< Fritz

............... you're limited in options to .......snip........ only standard fittings (e.g. I can't get one for my AquaLung AirSource, several other integrated octos use non-standard fittings as well)........

Fritz,

You can use a LP Reg Hose to BC Integrated Second Stage adapter (part number HOAD8 on the DiveRite Express site) with a Miflex regulator hose. The 9/16-inch male end screws into the second stage end of a (Miflex?) LP regulator hose, and the other end of the adapter is a female slide-lock fitting that accepts the hi-flow male post found on the BC integrated second stages of the Dive Rite Source, ScubaPro Air II, Tusa Duo-Air IR3, and Atomic SS1. I assume that this is the same fitting as is found on your Aqualung AirSource? This adapter allows any length LP regulator hose to be converted into a quick disconnect hose for BC integrated alternate air sources.

For those of you with octo/inflator setups that want to use a short MiFlex regulator hose, take a look at your current LP hose. Chances are, the LP hose that came with it is already using a QR attachment (exactly like the Dive-Rite one listed above) on the end of a normal short regulator hose that you can simply un-screw and put on your new MiFlex hose. The hoses that came with my Atomic SS1 and my wife's Zeagle Octo-Z both use the attachments on the end of otherwise normal, non-QR, 400 psi, LP regulator hoses. I was able to remove the QR attachment on both. If it looks like there are 2 different places to put a wrench, then that's the attachment. It may look like they're one piece, but they're probably not. Take a couple of wrenches and find-out.

Righty tighty, lefty loosy. . .:D

Back
Top Bottom