MiFlex hose construction

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

lindenbruce

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Hello all,

Just curious, but how are MiFlex hoses constructed? Is the inner hose rubber with a Kevlar outer braid? or is the inner hose a sort of plastic with a Kevlar outer braid.

Just wondering because I came across this article about a generic braided hose where the inner liner was supposedly failing and bits of debris were causing a second stage failure. See attached link for article. I have MiFlex hoses on my deco regs and not really worried with MiFlex products. But this article got me to thinking.

Thanks,
Bruce

Nylon-Braided Regulator Hose Diving Emergency

LOL, I ALMOST posted my question in the regulator forum and if I had I would have seen that thread. Funny. I did read that thread just now. And the info is not very positive. Now I am wondering if I should change out my HP MiFlex hoses for rubber just to be on the safe side. In fact, now that I think about it I think they maybe Phantom hoses. Darn it. Now I have to check them to see if they are the recalled hoses. Great. I need another beer.

Yes, it's getting a little confusing. The Hoses that were the original subject of that thread appear to be Miflex. The Phantom HP hoses with listed manufacture dates have been re called. Miflex recalled their thin HP hoses back in 2012, I believe they sorted the issue so if you have a newer Miflex HP hose, they are thinner than normal and carbon in color I believe with added strain reliefs on each end then you're probably fine. If your HP hose is black and same diameter as your LP hoses then it's not Miflex and you should check manufacture date. Enjoy ya beer, cheers.

Yes, it is fairly clear that the hoses referred to as generic hoses are, in fact, Miflex Hoses with the "MFX" marking.

So how the heck do you tell which hose is which? One of my HP hoses has 12Q3 on it and the other has I0315. Both appear to have the same type of crimp. So I guess these are good hoses?

Thanks, Bruce

Just checked 6 of my Miflex hoses, some from OC rig, one from bailout rig, and a couple of old ones. Some new some old. All say Miflex, not MFX. All Say Extreme, EN250, 35 BAR, Made in Italy, then what appears to be a varying date code; 2Q12 or 2012, 3012 or 3Q12, 0613 or Q613, and 2912 or 2Q12. With that said, I'll say THIS again, have used MiFlex since "Day 1" and have NEVER had a failure or issue. I did have one of the "suspect" HP hoses from 2 or 3 years ago, and it was exchanged with no issues.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom