what's the current feeling on Miflex hoses - some years on from the recall, etc.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

img-20210329-wa0012-jpeg.651862.jpg

That can happen with rubber hoses too.

I think the main issue the OP is referring to is the degradation of the interior that blocks the passage of gas and weakens the structure of the hose.

I replaced all my low pressure hoses with miflex and the high pressure ones with braided steel hoses. About 50 dives in and no problems. The increased flexibility make them much more suitable for complex routing like in a sidemount with long hose setup. Highly recommended.

The "newsflash" articles states it is not the Miflex brand as they use a different compound?

i never saw any real advantage for me over rubber. the cost did not justify any reduction in weight for example.

i do however have one high quality bcd inflate LP hose sent to me by cave adventures with a sm rig i bought. unsure of the brand but it is much softer and more flexible than most braided hoses i have seen. these ones have an advantage over rubber as far as hose routing goes.

i have not heard any news lately about hose degradation. but it def was an issue with some brands in the past. i am not that familiar with the different brands avail but when you see some of them side by side there are obvious quality difference between them.

I don't recommend, sell them individually, or permit them in classes on second stages. I've seen them kink and shut off the air supply. They are still floaty, take a set when coiled too long, and abrasive to skin and drysuit seals. They also add to the cost of the reg set with no real benefit over rubber.
I have tried both high and low-pressure ones. The high-pressure ones didn't last as long as rubber. The LP ones on my inflator. I've never had a rubber hose start fraying. These did.
People are free to do what they want but I can't justify selling them something more expensive with no real added value.

I had some original miflex 6" hp hoses fail catastrophically, and many more rubber ones leak slowly. Slow leak is preferred.

Did have a miflex knockoff hose on my rebreather oxygen supply start leaking. Thankfully, it failed badly during a predive check. Replaced with rubber. If I can find the hose length I want in rubber, I buy rubber. If not, miflex knockoff. That hose was well over 4 years old, and now my personal rule is that all hoses on my rebreather will be 4 years old or less.

The really good rubber hoses aren't available anymore, now everything comes from overseas regardless of type. Similar price for both hoses.

Just binned 2 longer MiFlex thin HP hoses, and since I was unable to find the thin rubber Posidon HP hoses had to get 2 new MiFlex HP hoses, which although not ever going around small radius turns, probably won't last longer than 5 years.
TRASH!

MiFlex does a good-great job of making sure you maintain DIR problem solving skills - they are an accident waiting to happen and you won't have to wait long.

Michael

I have been using braided hoses for many years with no problems and still use them. You should replace your hoses every 2-5 years depending on the environment and frequency of dives just to be safe.

i have a few for long hose sidemount, still use them but check them with a borescope in case the liner degrades. i likely will switch to ultraflex rubber in future.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom