Miflex XT Hoses

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Why complicate something so simple? Pay twice the price for a fancy hose that doesn’t have any real advantages that will alter your diving?
Different strokes for different folks.
I was just curious about the new hoses. I won't buy a Miflex XT-Tech again. I might still buy regular braided hoses, as I prefer them over rubber for rec.

A little about the hose its-self.

I would describe it as being somewhere in between a normal rubber hose and a normal miflex braided hose.
It's more flexible than rubber.
It's less flexible than braided.
The exterior is smoother than braided or rubber hose
The hose diameter is smaller than rubber hose.
the hose diameter is slightly larger than braided hose.

It does "hold on to" bends as the manual suggests. Unfortunately, miflex ships the things in a small plastic bag (as they always have). That means you can't really straighten the thing out completely like you can with a regular hose.

Another complaint about the manual: (yes, the mis-spelling of center was their mistake rather than mine)
What a load of complete crap. Someone should go slap the guys over at miflex. If you're a certified diver and you can't swap a hose, you should reconsider diving.
that spelling of center is the european version, and is also used in canada, just FYI.

that spelling of center is the european version, and is also used in canada, just FYI.
The "european" version!!!???
The would be the "ENGLISH" version, you know, the place it came from. And Australian, New Zealand, Canadian and the rest of the English speaking world. The only place in the world that spell it the incorrect way is the USA.

Incorrect spelling, European version......pfffffffff!

I got the hoses in the mail today. They come with an instruction book that answers the question about longevity. I'll take a photo and share the English part. In short, the instructions specifically say the hoses should be replaced after 5 years or 500 dives. That makes the discussion about whether miflex branded hoses are better than generics in this regard or not completely irrelevant.

I was also surprised to see that it specifically says the hoses are not suitable for o2 concentrations over 40%. I guess I'll take that miflex hose off my deco bottle!

The red circles were added by me. The third one pretty much tells me these aren't suitable for cave diving at all. Unless it hasn't been wet yet, cave gear is going to be scuffed to heck and back. Actually, I'd say that means Miflex-XT Tech hoses not suitable for any kind of technical diving at all. What a disappointment. I think regular Miflex-XT may be still okay, since scuffing a hose without the "rubber" exterior would be far more difficult.

View attachment 485057 View attachment 485058

I think I'll continue to use miflex for recreational diving.

...and.. LOL! An instruction book for a hose? I got a chuckle about that. Given the fragility of Miflex-XT Tech hoses, it must have been necessary.

My impression from the Divegearexpress WWW site is that ALL scuba hoses should be replaced after 5 years or 500 dives. I think it's just the ever increasing liability defense legalese gone rampant, and not a 'dig' against Miflex-XT hoses in particular. I ordered a pair tonight (a BCD hose and 1st stage hose) just to see/try them firsthand and see what I think.

The "european" version!!!???
The would be the "ENGLISH" version, you know, the place it came from. And Australian, New Zealand, Canadian and the rest of the English speaking world. The only place in the world that spell it the incorrect way is the USA.

Incorrect spelling, European version......pfffffffff!
Nope ... european

centre - Wiktionary
Etymology

Borrowed from Middle French centre, from Latin centrum, from Ancient Greek κέντρον (kéntron), from κεντεῖν (kenteîn, “to prick, goad”).

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom