MiFlex DS Hose... reduced airflow?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

danam404

Registered
Reaction score
I have been using a MiFlex Dual Swivel for about a year now with a Hollis side exhaust reg. I recently grabbed a Scubapro first and second stage to see if I liked it better. I had it serviced by my LDS and they commented that they didn't like the swivel on my MiFlex, and it would reduce my airflow by 30%.

Does anyone else here have opinions on this hose? Should I ditch it?

MiFlex DS (Dual Swivel) LP Hoses — XS Scuba

Attachments

• MDS-Miflex-Dual-Swivel-Hoses-2.jpg
    MDS-Miflex-Dual-Swivel-Hoses-2.jpg
    42.3 KB · Views: 77
I think the problem is DS reads as dry suit so people have glossed over it, I have no experience with that swivel so I had no input for you.

I don;t have one but this is my take on it.
Will it reduce the total possible flow, most likely yes, HOWEVER does that really matter?
All modern first and second stages can flow way more air than any human can inhale and as long as you can't over breath the second stage does it really matter that it will only purge flow 80 or 90 % of what it can with a different hose? As long as the flow rate is still way more than you can possible\y inhale does it matter? Comfort is important.

Think of it this way, you have 200 MPH rated tires on your car but ones rated for 150 MPH will ride a lot better, is it worth the loss of speed for a better ride when you are limited to 60 MPH anyway?

Think of it this way, you have 200 MPH rated tires on your car but ones rated for 150 MPH will ride a lot better, is it worth the loss of speed for a better ride when you are limited to 60 MPH anyway?

The only thing is you are not allowed to use 150mph tires on a 200mph car. At least in Europe the rating of the tire has to match or be over the max speed of the car itself to prevent people blowing their tires at 200mph (oke, in most of Europe a 120/130kph is the max)

I just installed one of those on my regulator and one on my wife’s. We just returned from 2 weeks in Bonaire and found no difference at all. Way more comfortable too - no jaw fatigue/pain which I had experienced on our prior trip with regular hose.

The only thing is you are not allowed to use 150mph tires on a 200mph car. At least in Europe the rating of the tire has to match or be over the max speed of the car itself to prevent people blowing their tires at 200mph (oke, in most of Europe a 120/130kph is the max)

And what is the relevance to regulators in this?

And what is the relevance to regulators in this?

About the same relevance as the first mentioning the tires.
And at least according Regulations its officially not allowed to change the set-up of your reg ie. inserting swivels.
As from that moment they are not complying to the EC regulations/ as applied for during certification.
Not said nobody is doing it, but it will be mentioned when you bring in your regs for service.

And at least according Regulations its officially not allowed to change the set-up of your reg ie. inserting swivels.
As from that moment they are not complying to the EC regulations/ as applied for during certification.

Under that logic, one would not be able to change hose length.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom