Miflex braided hoses?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

teddyg04

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
I'm thinking of replacing my reg hoses with Miflex braided hoses. Anyone out there with opinions or experience with them?

Some comments ... http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/regulators/219837-miflex-hoses-anyone-used-them.html
And a deal and more info/comments ... http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/ho...-hoses-brand-new-us-various-sizes-colors.html
Also, some that use a scooter thought they were too flexible and their long hose would "flap in the breeze" because of it

My thoughts? light, flexible, well made .. I am thinking of replacing my hoses with them ... eventually, drysuit zipper is sucking up my money right now :wink:

Welcome to the Board TeddyG :)

I love them. I use a 5' hose on my primary. Goes under the arm, behind the neck and is so comfortable that I don't even know that it is there. I am going to replace the rest of my hoses. It is unfortunate that they do not offer an high pressure hose.

A post I put up a week or so ago...
---------------------------------------
So finally had the chance to swap out all of my LP hoses for Miflex hoses that I picked up at my LDS, and dive with them in both single and doubles configurations.

- 7' long hose
- 22" alternate hose
- 22" quick-disconnect inflator hose
- 29" drysuit hose

XSSQDH.jpg

Here's some initial thoughts:

Weight: The entirety of my regulator set-up is noticeably lighter, even just in my reg bag - which is actually easier to pack now too. Not enough to warrant the change-over in and of itself, but noticeable, and as much as I travel for work with my gear in tow this will be a benefit.

Routing: set-up for singles and doubles is bit easier, especially without any of the somewhat precarious bends required with certain regs in a doubles configuration. Short hose lays a lot nicer over the shoulder with no tugging to the right when using the alternate and less stress on the routing of the hose from the 1st stage.

Streamlining: the 7' primary hose lays flatter and neater than a standard hose, especially up around the neck and/or when not in use and clipped off. Tucks/stows nicely, not "floaty" at all. (Somewhat easier to deploy to an OOA diver as well.) For drysuit hose: 29" quick-release hose with a "Hose Hat" added is 7" shorter than a standard DUI drysuit hose and stays nicely right at your side; no getting hung up with anything else

Inflator hose: 22" quick-disconnect is perfect for doubles or singles rig. I had always had minor difficulties when using a standard 22" hose - either bending too harshly off first stage with doubles, or bowing on a singles rig due to excess length. I use a 12" corrugate hose on a standard elbow on both set-ups and the 22" Miflex is fine on either.

Based on a few dives with the hoses outlined above, I also plan on swapping out the hose on my stage bottle as well. Should be easier to deploy/stow.

They are also packed in descent sized little "dry bags" that come in handy for carrying paperwork, wallet, anything else you don't want to get wet out on a boat. Would I go out of my way for them just based on that? No, but there are a very nice add in.

Miflex Hoses

myflex1.jpg

Got my first set last year, love them now all 3 reg sets I own have them on all the hoses (particularly good as a dry suit hose, routing and flex are not an issue anymore) . They are very flexible, I don't understand the negative comments about them, I tried to understand but don’t. In 30+ years of diving I think this is one of my favourite innovations. With Miflex on my primary I dropped using swivels and all the other things (such as longer hose) I have used to give more flexibility to my primary reg.

I have them on one reg set and I'm about to put them on the other two. Already have my stage reg set up also. I second the thought about wanting HP hoses.

Hi there,

To all you guys and gals that have fitted a miflex reg hose, I have a quick question.

I am thinking of exchanging my standard 28" reg hose for a 30" Miflex reg hose to help overcome the irritating "regulator pull". (I also have a Seacure which has helped). I'm choosing this option over the option of a Atomic Swivel (which looks well made, but is expensive and only really solving the problem of a stiff hose, as far as I can see)
Should I be considering adding an elbow/angled joint as well - or is this not required with the MiFlex??

I though the length increase from 28" to 30" would help too.

Thanks in advance, Chris

We replaced all of our hoses with Miflex and couldn't be happier. One nice thing is to not have to worry so much about storage and kinking. Solved all of our reg pull problems, no swivel necessary.

Hi there,

To all you guys and gals that have fitted a miflex reg hose, I have a quick question.

I am thinking of exchanging my standard 28" reg hose for a 30" Miflex reg hose to help overcome the irritating "regulator pull". (I also have a Seacure which has helped). I'm choosing this option over the option of a Atomic Swivel (which looks well made, but is expensive and only really solving the problem of a stiff hose, as far as I can see)
Should I be considering adding an elbow/angled joint as well - or is this not required with the MiFlex??

Thanks in advance, Chris

I didn't increase length on any of mine and they work well. The more flexible hose seems to reduce the pull on the second stage significantly v. the original equipment hoses.

Hi there,

Thanks in advance, Chris

My experience with the Miflex is that you will not a longer hose than you currently use. The increased flexability should significantly reduce "pull".

In my case, I'm using a 5' Miflex for an open water "long hose" single tank "Hogarthian" setup. I'm a big guy (6'5", 260 lbs) --- a 5' conventional hose would have been too short to run under my right arm, across my chest, and behind my head: the tight bends required would pull the reg out of my mouth with a conventional hose. The Miflex is so flexible that it allows me to actually use a 5' length with minimal-to-no noticeable pull. I'm sold on how good they are, just wish they made a 6' length, which would be perfect for me :D

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom