Midwest Hydro Facility with "+" Capability

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

616fun

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Does anyone know if there is a hyrdro facility near the Indianapolis area that is capable of hydroing steel cylinders with the "+" rating. Seems most steels loose the "+" only because the hydroing facility doesn't have the equipment to recertify the "+".

I could be wrong, but I don't believe it's an issue with needing special equipment. I think it's a matter of referencing the correct exemption specifications, and then you allow a different level of elastic expansion. Same equipment though. I think the issue is with hydro facilities that don't want to do the leg work.

I could be wrong, but I don't believe it's an issue with needing special equipment. I think it's a matter of referencing the correct exemption specifications, and then you allow a different level of elastic expansion. Same equipment though. I think the issue is with hydro facilities that don't want to do the leg work.

That is correct, it is not lack of equipment; it is either lack of knowledge or lack of interest on doing a good complete job.

Do you tanks have an REE number stamped on them? If they do, then doing the "+" takes just a couple minutes more doing one simple math calculation. No other tests or equipment required. Which means getting it hydroed can be a good opportunity to try and educate a local shop, rather than look for another distant one.

Some shops admittedly could care less about scuba work, let alone learning anything new, and just aren't interested in doing the plus regardless, but others can often be talked into it, especially if you can present it as a challenge to their professionalism, or make them realize that it could let them tap a market no one else in the area is tapping.

That is correct, it is not lack of equipment; it is either lack of knowledge or lack of interest on doing a good complete job.

Do you tanks have an REE number stamped on them? If they do, then doing the "+" takes just a couple minutes more doing one simple math calculation. No other tests or equipment required. Which means getting it hydroed can be a good opportunity to try and educate a local shop, rather than look for another distant one.

Some shops admittedly could care less about scuba work, let alone learning anything new, and just aren't interested in doing the plus regardless, but others can often be talked into it, especially if you can present it as a challenge to their professionalism, or make them realize that it could let them tap a market no one else in the area is tapping.

Yes they are already "+" rated. The dive shop does not do the hydros - rather they are sent off to another company (fire protective service). Of course the Vis is done at the shop. I've heard most people loose "+" at the first hydro because the facility doing the hydro has to be rated to give the "+" rating. I guess they have to be trained in these calculations. Is this so?

I'll look through the documents and take it to the facility when I go.

It was my understanding that special

No it is not so. The calculations are trivial - literally, subtracting one number from another. No special training is necessary. No special license or permit is necessary. ANY hydro shop that is able to hydro scuba tanks SHOULD be able to "+" rate them, as long as they are stamped with the REE number.

The directions for how to do it are in CGA Pamphlet C-5, which a hydro shop is REQUIRED BY LAW to have a copy of. So there really is no excuse for a hydro shop saying they can't do it, unless they are simple hidebound and cretinous.

I guess they have to be trained in these calculations. Is this so?

Back
Top Bottom