"Mexico Safer than Headlines Indicate"

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

"War on drugs" As of January 2011 with in 4 1/2 yrs to date appox-40,000 dead of which approx 2900 were foreiners. (thats from the mexican consulates office) I said Americans, sorry I usually associate foreiners in mexico as americans... My bad.

Surprising statement coming from someone who wrote this :

Considering my stays have not been limited to the US cities located within Mexicos border... I have spent months at a time there traveling to places most americans do not. […]

If you read the news and know the country a bit, you'll find out that many foreign victims of the traffickers are people from Central America on their way to the US.

Internet+Fight+Use+this_b44cbe_2851379.jpg

LOCK & LOAD

24131_109226885784916_109224519118486_62686_7894249_n.jpg

Surprising statement coming from someone who wrote this :

If you read the news and know the country a bit, you'll find out that many foreign victims of the traffickers are people from Central America on their way to the US.

Well, all I can say is im not normal and I suffer from PTSD... Putting myself in harms ways seems to be therapeutic... I love Mexico almost more then the USA. I would never tell anyone not to visit, just be careful. Like I said before, its as safe or dangerous as you want it to be.

This thread and the article that inspired it are an exercise in spin-doctoring, careful phrasing, and selective statistical mining. How dangerous do the headlines make it seem? How dangerous is "the average traveler's hometown"? Is that any international traveler, a traveler to Mexico, or a traveler from Minneapolis to New Orleans? Why is Mexico City's "drug-related homicide rate" compared to DC's "overall homicide rate"? Is there some consolation in being killed in a non-drug-related incident? Is there some consolation in being killed outside the municipality?

I would visit Cozumel and the nearby destinations with no reservations about crime. I have been to some fairly dodgy destinations (which I do not consider the Yucatan among) in spite of State Department warnings, but lets please not sugarcoat it. Nobody should go to Mexico City, much less border towns, without being aware of the potential threat.

This thread and the article that inspired it are an exercise in spin-doctoring, careful phrasing, and selective statistical mining. How dangerous do the headlines make it seem? How dangerous is "the average traveler's hometown"? Is that any international traveler, a traveler to Mexico, or a traveler from Minneapolis to New Orleans? Why is Mexico City's "drug-related homicide rate" compared to DC's "overall homicide rate"? Is there some consolation in being killed in a non-drug-related incident? Is there some consolation in being killed outside the municipality?

I would visit Cozumel and the nearby destinations with no reservations about crime. I have been to some fairly dodgy destinations (which I do not consider the Yucatan among) in spite of State Department warnings, but lets please not sugarcoat it. Nobody should go to Mexico City, much less border towns, without being aware of the potential threat.

:w-t-f: A logical, well-reasoned approach . . . . what are YOU doing on the Internet?

:rofl3: Exactly, vladmir! It's just good sense. :)

On the other hand, I'm way more wary of parts of D.C.

I'm sorry, but IMO saying that Mexico is a more dangerous place than Afghanistan or Syria is ludicrous.

Back
Top Bottom