"Mexico Safer than Headlines Indicate"

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Really...? The last figure released by the Mexican government on the number of dead during its 4 1/2-year, military-led crackdown on organized crime came in January, at just over 40,000. I realize thats not even closes to the 2 million that have died in the middle east due to the war on terror. Then again we did most of the killing and our own losses are less then 5000 to date 9yrs... VS about 2900 american losses in mexico in half the of time 4 1/2yrs.... Im sorry, which place is more dangerous?

srsly-405142.jpg

Geeez, Brendon, why do you want to come in here and f' with Christi's thread?

Now, quote your sources or put a sock in your mouth! 73.6% statistics on the Internet are made up, and I am throwing the bull**** flag on yours!

The title is "Mexico safer then headlines indicate," I disagree. I have come to my own conclusions based on my own experiance, research and frequent visits. Jax, sorry you dont like the fact that what I have said doesnt fall in line with what your buddy is talking about. You think because the SFChronical posted something with a fancy map their opinion has a more substantial bases... I guess if its in the news we should believe it... Bah,bah,bah little sheep. Do your own research, hopefully thats more then listening to me or somebody at a dive shop trying to promote tourism in a down economy...

The title is "Mexico safer then headlines indicate," I disagree. I have come to my own conclusions based on my own experiance, research and frequent visits. Jax, sorry you dont like the fact that what I have said doesnt fall in line with what your buddy is talking about. You think because the SFChronical posted something with a fancy map their opinion has a more substantial bases... I guess if its in the news we should believe it... Bah,bah,bah little sheep. Do your own research, hopefully thats more then listening to me or somebody at a dive shop trying to promote tourism in a down economy...

1 - you don't know what I like, or not. Stop making schit up.

2 - You are the one that quoted bull**** statistics. I'm saying "put up or shut up".

Let's see your sources, boy.

Oh, hell, let me help you, as you seem to have an alligator mouth overcoming your canary butt.

How do you get 2900? Are you adding the Amercans killed in the American-Spanish war?

Mexico's Drug War Takes Growing Toll On Americans | Fox News

MEXICO CITY – MEXICO CITY (AP) — More Americans in Mexico are falling victim to a wave of drug violence sweeping the country, a change driven home by the recent killing of a U.S. Consulate employee and her husband who were gunned down after leaving a children's birthday party.

The number of U.S. citizens killed in Mexico has more than doubled to 79 in 2009 from 35 in 2007, according to the U.S. State Department's annual count. No figures were available for the first two months of 2010.

While only some of the killings are specifically listed as "executions" or "drug-related," the increase in homicides appears to be related to drug battles. In Ciudad Juarez, the northern border city hardest hit by drug violence and where the consulate employee was killed, homicides of Americans rose to 23 in 2009 from two in 2007.

Last edited:
Pardon me, Ladies and Gentlemen.

Apparently, my Bull**** meter has pegged. Have a good evening.

:)

By your calculations one internet link is no better then the next. Its a mute point, I can list several to include US government websites, tourism websites, wiki for death toll facts. Do your own search, I doubt you will find anything that states exactly what I said the way I said it. I just made a comparison between the 2 wars (those numbers are approximate enough to make the point) given what was said earlier about the war on drugs being small potatoes... Your big kid, look it up....Shiaat you want me to book your hotel and massage while im compiling everything for you in nice package with an interactive map.

"War on drugs" As of January 2011 with in 4 1/2 yrs to date appox-40,000 dead of which approx 2900 were foreiners. (thats from the mexican consulates office) I said Americans, sorry I usually associate foreiners in mexico as americans... My bad.

35,700 Deaths Could Be Prevented Annually by Strong Soot Standards
New report analyzes health benefits of long overdue protective soot standards

Washington, D.C. (November 16, 2011)—

Up to 35,700 premature deaths can be prevented in the United States every year if the Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) strengthens the health standards for fine particulate matter—also known as soot—according to a new report, Sick of Soot: How the EPA Can Save Lives by Cleaning Up Fine Particle Pollution, prepared by the American Lung Association, Clean Air Task Force and Earthjustice.

Soot, technically known as PM2.5 (fine particulate matter with a diameter of 2.5 micrometers or less), is generated by coal-fired power plants, diesel and other vehicles, agricultural burning, wood stoves and industrial combustion. Though the pollution particles in soot are tiny—1/30th the width of a human hair—they can have a huge impact on human health. Research links them to premature death, heart attacks, stroke, worsened asthma and possibly cancer and developmental and reproductive harm.

The Clean Air Act requires that the EPA set national air quality standards for soot at levels that protect public health with a margin of safety. To adequately protect children, seniors and people with lung disease, heart disease, and diabetes from these dangers, Sick of Soot shows that the EPA should tighten the current standard to an annual level of 11 μg/m3 and a daily level of 25 μg/m3.

Cleaning up the air to meet the standards outlined above could spare the nation every year from as many as:

35,700 premature deaths;
2,350 heart attacks;
23,290 visits to the hospital and emergency room;
29,800 cases of acute bronchitis;
1.4 million cases of aggravated asthma; and
2.7 million days of missed work or school due to air pollution-caused ailments.

See that link thing?

The one that is blue and underlined? Yeah, that one.

It leads to a SOURCE, 'cause the Jax don't make schit up.

Jax, that info is as believable as the decades old egg scare or the recent swine flu fiasco.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom