"Mexico Safer than Headlines Indicate"

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Christi

PADI MSDT/Former CZM Dive op owner
ScubaBoard Supporter
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
2500 - 4999
Some of you may have already seen this considering it was written in August, but this article is a great reminder of the reality of violence in Mexico in relation to the US. It really puts things in perspective!
So for those of you that have friends and family who think you are "crazy" for wanting to come to Cozumel, please share this with them!

Mexico safer than headlines indicate

Here is a map of the "Trouble Spots" with more information on each location as well:

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/objec...011/08/17/ba-mexsafety0821_SFCG1313475760.jpg

Thanks for sharing Christi! After 13 trips or so, the friends & family have finally stopped telling me I'm crazy - but I bet they still think it! I think I just might take your links and pass them on!!

Good info Christi! After our trip to El Moro (where it was a pleasure to meet you) and our wanderings and sampling of local cuisine, we found the people to be very friendly and felt very safe.

Having traveled extensively in Mexico by car, bus, and plane, I can say that I almost always have felt far safer than I do in many U.S. locations. Mexico is simply not a violent country. Several of my Mexican friends, including those living in D.F., Guadalajara, Michoacan, and Monterrey have all told me that the vibe in the country is truly worsening though, and that it is affecting their lives. Partly I think this reaction is because they're used to such low levels of violent crime that the recent increase is pretty shocking, even if it's still FAR below most U.S. urban areas. I truly hope that the U.S. can get the political willpower (on both sides of the border) to help our neighbors.

But this has little to do with safety on a dive vacation to the yucatan. The climate of fear that might deter Americans from going to Cozumel is basically a product of geographical ignorance and wildly inaccurate portrayal of the country.

I think your post is an appropriate reminder for this forum, although you're probably mostly preaching to the choir....

Some of you may have already seen this considering it was written in August, but this article is a great reminder of the reality of violence in Mexico in relation to the US. It really puts things in perspective!
So for those of you that have friends and family who think you are "crazy" for wanting to come to Cozumel, please share this with them!

Mexico safer than headlines indicate

Here is a map of the "Trouble Spots" with more information on each location as well:

- Media (5 of 8) Mexico safer than headlines indicate

I could not agree more Christi, we had 95 people at the ScubaBoard Invasion last year and had no issues. We will return again this year and I suspect we will have the same results.

HEADLINES sell newspapers and get TV ratings , facts are just something that get in the way.

Stay real.

Mexico is one of the most dangerous countries on Earth, and we all know it. Thankfully most scuba diving is done in wealthy-touristy coastal areas far from the poverty of everyday life for 90% of Mexicans.

It's like going to "those" areas of Washington, D.C., Chicago, IL; Los Angeles, CA; New York, NY . . .

I have driven down by myself to San Carlos, Guaymas, Sonora, Mexico. I have to drive through Hermosillo to do so. I feel MUCH safer than driving some areas of American larger cities.

You can say, "Stay real", Moonglow, but the danger is in the areas of the drug cartels, and are known by the Mexican populace. Furthermore, the cartels don't want Americans involved, because they would be ****'d for sure!!!!

Juarez, Tijuana . . . uh, no. . . . they've been 'border towns' in the truest sense of the word since we roamed the area on horses.

I go across to our little border towns locally all the time. There's a huge dentistry industry there. I don't go into Mexico Nogales, much, just a few trusted shopping areas. Mostly, straight through, away from the border, to the places that are safe. There are Federales presence on the road, which is a precaution and show of force. I'm okay with it, I've not been treated with anything but respect.

Stay real.

Mexico is one of the most dangerous countries on Earth...

Really? More dangerous than Afghanistan, Iraq, Iran, Syria, Lebanon, Libya, Egypt, Yemen, Bahrain, Pakistan... ? I don't think so. Not even close.

Mexico has some dangerous places. So does the US, as does every other country on Earth.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom