Mexican Swine Flu (H1N1)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

After speaking with relatives who live in Cabo I regret to report that Cabo is an absolute ghost town. No ships coming in, no one in the Marina and nobody in town. It’s an absolute shame when something like this gets blown way out of proportion and fear is spread by this World Health Organization. Who are these people anyways? Toronto is just now recovering from the havoc they caused with sars.

ItÃÔ an absolute shame when something like this gets blown way out of proportion and fear is spread by this World Health Organization.

WHO was doing their job, and doing an entirely appropriate job. And they've been the ones arguing that closing borders is pointless, etc.

Blame the media or blame ignorant overreaction on the part of an ill-informed, ill-educated population if you want to.

WHO was doing their job, and doing an entirely appropriate job. And they've been the ones arguing that closing borders is pointless, etc.

Blame the media or blame ignorant overreaction on the part of an ill-informed, ill-educated population if you want to.

Vallarta these days is kind of empty of foreign tourists and some hotels have shut down temporarily .

The resort coastal areas of Mexico are very dependent on foreign tourism I must say, and the economy affects everything and everyone in one way or another. On the other hand the Mexico forum at SB is dedicated to DIVING and diving goes on these days especially by divers who live in Mexico and do not have to debate about coming down or not.

As examples, the caves in Q. Roo are still there as well as all of the other amazing dive areas. Guadalupe GW season is just around the corner
and so on..

The mapping project that we are doing at los Arcos in the Bay of Banderas will still get some dive hours dedicted to it these days and with far less boat traffic to worry about. On Saturday and Sunday, we did avoid doing real long hose S-drills before dives so we were not sharing germs from second stages

Let's all talk about diving and not so much about taking a vacation or not taking a vacation. This does not mean that those who live in Mexico should disregard being careful and following recomendations as well as following the latest developments about the Flu.

Happy diving !

Last edited:
my wife and I will be diving Cozumel Park Royal to be exact come May 21st...regardless of the bs put out to the general public

CNN recently reported that 36,000 people died last year of the flu in the US, so I think I´ll cancell my travel plans to the US - it´s just too dangerous.

I recommedend all you divers to come to Mexico where it´s safer - we´ve had only about 40 fatalities in poor, highly populated, low income areas, where higiene measures are nearly nonexistant.

(sorry about the sarcasm, but it´s frustrating to have some idiot politicians in Mexico City and Washington scare everyone off and leave us and the whole tourism industry in Mexico without work and income. We do still need to feed our families and pay the bills, you know.)

So see you soon in Puerto Vallarta, Los Cabos, Cancun, Mazatlan, Playa del Carmen, etc.

Alex from PVScuba

ItÃÔ an absolute shame when something like this gets blown way out of proportion and fear is spread by this World Health Organization. Who are these people anyways? Toronto is just now recovering from the havoc they caused with sars.

These are people who get their nice, fat paychecks regarless of what lousy decisions they make. What do they care if they leave tens or perhaps hundreds of thousands of hard-working people without a means of supporting their families?

I have lived here almost 20 years in Cabo and it is such a shame to see it so vacant. No reported cases here in the Baja folks...so don't be afraid. I am worried about my tour business and have been scrambling to find divers. I also do eco-tours to the mountains and city tours. No traffic yesterday at all on the highway....weird.
Anyway...Cabo Pulmo was beautiful and calm. Whale sharks are showing up there.. 2 times this week. So please come down here and visit us!!!

THIS IS THE LATEST REPORT FROM THE WORLD'S HEALTH ORG, A UNITED NATIONS AGENCY AND THE MAIN INFORMATION SOURCE, NOT ANY GOVERNMENT OR NEWSMEDIA FRENZY, ON THEIR STATEMENT IT SEEMS THERE ARE MORE CASES NOW IN THE USA THAN IN MEXICO (NO COMPETITION MEANT HERE) BUT MY BOSS AND ME ARE TRAVELING SOON TO TEXAS WHERE THERE ARE SEVERAL CONFIRMED CASES, WE NEED TO GO FOR BUSINESS, AND THIS THING IS NOT STOPPING US, THE WORLD HEALTH ORG DOES NOT RESTRICT TRAVELING SO I DO NOT SEE WHY SOMEONE FROM THE US WOULD NOT COME WHEN THEY ALREADY HAD A PLANNED VACATION WHEN OVER THERE THERE ARE MORE CASES......WITH ALL DUE RESPECT TO ALL THAT READ THIS POST, BUT WE GOTTA FACE IT, IT IS A VIRUS, IT IS BAD, CURABLE AND IF YOU KEEP GOOD HEALTH HABITS YOU WILL BE FINE.....BUT ANYWAY HERE IS THE REPORT....THE DEATH TOLL IS A LOT MORE IN MEXICO BUT CONFIRMED CASES THERE ARE MORE IN USA AGAIN NO DISRESPECT MEANT, BUT US ALL THAT DEPEND ON TOURISM AND THAT ARE TOTALLY FINE AND THE TOURISTS THAT ARE HERE NOW ARE FINE AND NOT LISTENING TO ALL THE NEGATIVITY AND THE MEDIA FRENZY.....WE ARE PAYING ATTENTION TO OFFICIAL INFO LIKE http://www.who.int/en/ AND FOLLOWING ALL SANITATION STEPS ETC...ALL I CAN RECOMMEND IS BE WELL INFORMED TALK TO DOCTORS ABOUT IT AND THEN MAKE A DESITION BUT DON'T LET THE MEDIA INLUENCE YOU.....AGAIN NOT TRYING TO MAKE THIS A COMPETITION OF WHO HAS MORE CASES OR NOT BUT WE WILL BE GOING TO A PLACE WHERE THERE ARE CONFIRMED CASES, MORE THAN HERE.....BUT THAT IS JUST US......

Influenza A(H1N1) - update 23
9 May 2009 -- As of 06:00 GMT, 9 May 2009, 29 countries have officially reported 3440 cases of influenza A(H1N1) infection.

Mexico has reported 1364 laboratory confirmed human cases of infection, including 45 deaths. The United States has reported 1639 laboratory confirmed human cases, including two deaths. Canada has reported 242 laboratory confirmed human cases, including one death.
Infuenza A(H1N1): number of laboratory confirmed cases and deaths [jpg 569kb]
As of 9 May 2009, 08:00 GMT

Influenza A(H1N1) web site
Daily updates will be posted on this site
The following countries have reported laboratory confirmed cases with no deaths - Argentina (1), Australia (1), Austria (1), Brazil (6), China, Hong Kong Special Administrative Region (1), Colombia (1), Costa Rica (1), Denmark (1), El Salvador (2), France (12), Germany (11), Guatemala (1), Ireland (1), Israel (7), Italy (6), Japan (3), Netherlands (3), New Zealand (5), Panama (2), Poland (1), Portugal (1), Republic of Korea (3), Spain (88), Sweden (1), Switzerland (1) and the United Kingdom (34).

WHO is not recommending travel restrictions related to the outbreak of the influenza A(H1N1) virus.

Individuals who are ill should delay travel plans and returning travelers who fall ill should seek appropriate medical care. These recommendations are prudent measures which can limit the spread of many communicable diseases, including influenza.

Further information on the situation will be available on the WHO website on a regular basis

Last edited:
The only difference between this flu and other flu’s which as stated before kill tens of thousands of people in North America every year is WHO got involved and gave it a name.

Back
Top Bottom