Metal vs. Plastic 2nd stage

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

kidspot

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I've seen several regs available in plastic or metal and am wondering what the pros/cons of each are?

Is it just the durability factor?

Tim

kidspot:
I've seen several regs available in plastic or metal and am wondering what the pros/cons of each are?

Is it just the durability factor?

Tim
plastic is lighter so they are generally little more convenient because they cause less jaw pain.
metal regs are more solid because of metal and are better for cold water diving because they conduct heat better.
that said, you will find people that will disagree that metal regs are better for cold water diving, etc., etc.,
i like solid things and thats why i bought me a metal reg.
just my 2 cents,
oren

My second stage is plastic and very lightweight. I really like it because it creates a lot less drag when I'm swimming. I've had mine for 6 years now and it's still holding up well. It has about 400 dives on it with no problems other than surface scratches.

Scott

There are lots of arguments pro and con both ways.

I like plastic second stages for my sport diving rig and metal ones on my commercial gear.

aquaoren:
...metal regs are more solid because of metal and are better for cold water diving because they conduct heat better.
that said, you will find people that will disagree that metal regs are better for cold water diving, etc., etc.,

Sorry, I didn't understand the logic. If the reg is in cold water and conducts heat better then doesn't this mean extra heat conduction away from the lips? And won't there be more internal condensation on the inside walls of the reg from your breath leading to wet breathing?
I could understand the argument about metal being more solid 30 years ago when plastics tended to be brittle at low temps but nowadays there are plastics meant for this application.

Mike, in cold conditions it is possible that the expansion of the air inside the reg will drop the tempurature below the freezing point. The metal regs actually conduct "heat" from the relatively warmer water to warm up your reg and prevent the internal mechanism from freezing up. Plastic regs attempt to over come this shortcoming with metal inserts/ heat exchangers.

At least thats my understanding.

smoritz0370:
Mike, in cold conditions it is possible that the expansion of the air inside the reg will drop the tempurature below the freezing point. The metal regs actually conduct "heat" from the relatively warmer water to warm up your reg and prevent the internal mechanism from freezing up. Plastic regs attempt to over come this shortcoming with metal inserts/ heat exchangers.

At least thats my understanding.

The first stage is generally the site that freezes in cold water not the second.

Metal dents, plastic can crack
both scratch
Metal is usually more expensive to fabricate
Metal is usually heavier than a comparable plastic unit
Metal will eventually oxidize, plastic will not
Metal is generally still the more durable of the two (not talking about diving here, transport loose in the bag usually and rough / improper care by the diver...)

All that aside, in most cases you are going to out grow or become bored with your gear before it ever comes close to the end of it's service life...

pipedope:
There are lots of arguments pro and con both ways.

I like plastic second stages for my sport diving rig and metal ones on my commercial gear.
Any special reasons that you use metal for your commercial gear?
Oren

aquaoren:
Any special reasons that you use metal for your commercial gear?
Oren

Mostly tradition as some of the gear has been around a long time and because that is what came installed in the FFM and helmet.

If you go around to commercial diving companies you can find some gear that is many years old and has many thousands of hours of use, still going strong.

The biggest reason I like the plastic for my sport rig is I got a really great deal on my Conshelf 21. :D

pipedope:
Mostly tradition as some of the gear has been around a long time and because that is what came installed in the FFM and helmet.

If you go around to commercial diving companies you can find some gear that is many years old and has many thousands of hours of use, still going strong.

The biggest reason I like the plastic for my sport rig is I got a really great deal on my Conshelf 21. :D
This is a very good reason :D
Oren

Back
Top Bottom