Metal or Poly 2nd stage?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I have had great luck with polymer. I have a 10 yr old Proton that works better than new and looks just as good. I am pretty meticulous with my gear though. I don't mind the cost cutting if they're passing the savings on. Th Instinct 52 is about $100.00 less than the Abyss 52. I am going with metal this time for the dry mouth, but I will say 150 gram Instict sure sounds more apealing than 1/2lb Abyss.

.....glad to hear your luck with the Proton, although for me they are one of the worst offenders with the soft cover.....the plastic mesh doesn't hold up down here in Florida.

When near a thousand dollars or even 500 dollars is spent on a regulator, a certain expectation of durability exists as to components including covers, bodies, etc. I just do not see that in plastic regulators long term. N

For most applications I would go with chrome and brass but some chrome regs could do with better plating.
I don't like finding green under the mouthpiece, behind the saddle, behind the T or inside.
Some brands are better than others but Mares and Scubapro aren't at the top of the heap.....USD and Sherwood have them beat.

I have a bunch of USD metal seconds from the '70s that look and function like new.

thats why i went with the carbon best of both.

While I too have many chrome seconds (and prefer them) to polymer seconds, the durability of polymer seems to be questionable in many of these posts. I have had nothing but good experience with polymer, more than a quarter century on one in particular, and literally hundreds of dives with no issues of cracking. The chrome seconds breath "wetter" so dry mouth isn't as pronounced as polymer. This can be both a plus and a minus, depending upon what you are looking for.

The chrome seconds breath "wetter" so dry mouth isn't as pronounced as polymer. This can be both a plus and a minus, depending upon what you are looking for.

What would be a minus for "wetter" breating. This was the main intent of this thread, as I have never used metal.

What would be a minus for "wetter" breating. This was the main intent of this thread, as I have never used metal.

Its not wetter breathing :) its moist breathing, wetter refers to another cause. I too would like to know disadvantages as I know none, only positives.

Perhaps you should borrow a metal second stage from someone and try it out.

Back
Top Bottom