Memorial weekend Islamorada/key largo,,,,,the good the bad and the ugly

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

deeper thoughts

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
The good first no current, 40-75 feet viz, sunny, pretty much flat seas. Dive sites were Molasses and Davy/Crocker
Great fishlife multiple species of morays,sharks,groupers and turtles. Dolphins circling the boat on the surface. No lionfish.
The bad, the keys were packed on the road, on the water and under the water.
No spots available at Molasses most of the day. Hours long traffic backups north/south
The ugly, no less than 4 boats zoomed over our heads at Molasses. This is inside the spa with boats/flags everywhere. Next big holiday weekend exercise caution if you plan on diving here.
A dive op here in Tavernier has been feeding the fish at Davy/crocker. The divers I was with had to leave the water after being bit multiple times by 3/5 triggerfish. It is legal nonetheless. Novice divers should be cognizant of this. The green moray swam through my legs multiple times looking for food slso

Pictures posted later

P5280029_edited-1 (Medium).JPG P1010005-3_edited-1 (Medium).JPG P1010011-3 (Medium).JPG P1010014-3 (Medium).JPG P1010027-3_edited-1 (Medium).JPG P1010031-2_edited-1 (Medium).JPG P5280022_edited-1 (Medium).JPG
P5280029_edited-1 (Medium).JPG
P1010005-3_edited-1 (Medium).JPG
P1010011-3 (Medium).JPG
P1010014-3 (Medium).JPG
P1010027-3_edited-1 (Medium).JPG
P1010031-2_edited-1 (Medium).JPG
P5280022_edited-1 (Medium).JPG

Do people ruin everything? The holidays bring out the most and the worst.

It was just too many people for this lil area. Keeps our taxes down but US1 and the waterways do get dangerous

You summed it up well. The good...the bad...the ugly. Still the best diving to be found in the U.S.

Great pictures! Glad you survived the holiday craziness o_O

You summed it up well. The good...the bad...the ugly. Still the best diving to be found in the U.S.

Great pictures! Glad you survived the holiday craziness o_O

Thnx..

Nice pics. Looks like the good was pretty good.

Nice pictures...

I empathize with you on the crowds. Colorado lets anyone with a few hundred dollars come hunt elk in the fall. It gets so crazy. I woke up once and found a group of hunters from "out-of-state" who over night pitch their camp in my driveway and front lawn. I told them the National Forest was still another five miles down how road.

Has the fish-feeding dive op been reported to authorities?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom