Suggestion Memorial vs accident analysis

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

OP
cornfed

cornfed

Mindless lemming
Reaction score
I realize I'm going to be called heartless for this but... Is there anyway to stop people from posting condolences in the accident analysis threads? It is difficult to discuss accidents when the thread is constantly being interrupted by people offering condolences. TDS has two separate forums one for accident analysis and one for memorial threads. I think SB should consider doing this as well.

I think this may be a good idea. . . Only because maybe it will stop some condolence threads from turning into fights about wether the person was right or wrong. . . instead of the point of the thread which is to remember the good times. . .

I agree. While the two are equally important they are also very different in nature.

I suggested this a while back, because I feel strongly there should be both. The two objectives cannot be met in the same thread.
The flip side to the situation you have described is some poor soul wanders in and says "oh so sad, what happened?" in a memorial thread and they get pounded with misplaced grief. This way, you could just politely direct them to the other thread.
They need to be seperate, no doubt about it. Good suggestion.

A useful suggestion.

There is another problem in all of this as well. There are very few people actually capable of accident 'analysis'. There are many though capable of accident 'speculation'.

catherine96821:
I suggested this a while back, because I feel strongly there should be both. The two objectives cannot be met in the same thread.
The flip side to the situation you have described is some poor soul wanders in and says "oh so sad, what happened?" in a memorial thread and they get pounded with misplaced grief. This way, you could just politely direct them to the other thread.
They need to be seperate, no doubt about it. Good suggestion.

Very true, the two objectives cannot be met in the same thread. One objective is to express your sorrow to the family and Board for the misfortune, while the other is analysis to help other divers, and yourself, avoid and understand the accident.

jagfish:
To be fair, part of the problem Kim alludes to is that adequate facts seldom come to light, inhibiting the shift from speculation to analysis.
...and without facts the guesswork starts...which can even lead to apportioning unjustified blame. While I realize that some people find value in speculation as to what 'might' of happened (and how to prevent that), when it's linked to real people and often read by their families, I often wonder which real purpose is being served.

For the record - this detracts slightly from Cornfed's original request, which I personally think has some merit although it's not up to me.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom