Member's Photo Gallery

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Beautiful shots lately!

I didn't do much shooting - never even took my dslr out of the camera bag - but did a bunch of happy snapping. It was frickin cold for most of our stay in the US, but very nice temperatures for those that live there :shakehead

Dave was able to get out with our bro-in-law and his dad to go ice fishing. They had a blast...and Dave got to buy a new rod and reel. He couldn't believe the size of them LOL He did really well getting several "big" fresh water fish...we still think they look like bait, but the Minnesquitoians were impressed. He even got to wear some Carhatt insulated overalls and several layers of warm stuff - which he thought was unnecessary at the house...he changed his mind once they parked the car :D

That's my hubby on the right...
icefishingtrio.jpg

Looks like loads of fun Alcina...
Although i'm sure when they retell the story, the fish will be this :--------------------------------------------------------------------------------->

big :D :D

Nice river shots Jam. You used a tripod for those, didn't you? On what did you focus before the shot? (I know, newbie questions :sigh:)

Nice, Soggy! You've gotta love the beauty of water.

wardric:
Nice river shots Jam. You used a tripod for those, didn't you? On what did you focus before the shot? (I know, newbie questions :sigh:)

Hey Eric, I used a tripod.
My shutter speeds were too slow to be handheld, so I set up the camera on the tripod, focused on the rocks and adjusted the shutter speed and aperture so I could get the right exposure basically..

The rebel xti, has a 9 point focus I think so it picks out the points in the scene with the most contrast to focus on, the user has the option of picking a specific AF point to focus on.....

I watched/listened to a wonderful tutorial last night on the Radiant Vista about capturing moving water.
I highly recommend watching it!, I learnt so much from it.
You can check it out here

Soggy that's some great stuff you have wonderful waterfalls in your neck of the woods :).

So basically, to have these effects, you have to set a very slow speed and use a tripod? I'll show some experiences I tried, I didn't have a tripod for these. Any input or advice would be appreciated

1/200 2.8
IMG_4275.jpg

1/500 2.8
IMG_4277.jpg

1/1000 2.8
IMG_4278.jpg

1/60 8.0
IMG_4279.jpg

1/60 8.0
IMG_4280.jpg

1/1000 2.8
IMG_4281.jpg

Thanks for the link, Jam. Good stuff!

Exactly eric, you want the shutter open long enough to capture the 'flowing movement' of the water.
If you look at your pics i'm sure you see the difference in the 1/1000s speed shots in which the water droplets are frozen.
And the 1/60s shots were the water starts to look a bit silky.

I could never get the shutter to stay open long enough in my point and shoot because the maximum was fstop was 8, so too much light was coming in for the shutter speed that I would need.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom