Member's Photo Gallery

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Jamdiver:
Exactly eric, you want the shutter open long enough to capture the 'flowing movement' of the water.
If you look at your pics i'm sure you see the difference in the 1/1000s speed shots in which the water droplets are frozen.
And the 1/60s shots were the water starts to look a bit silky.

I could never get the shutter to stay open long enough in my point and shoot because the maximum was fstop was 8, so too much light was coming in for the shutter speed that I would need.

Like in mine (canon PS A-75).

So for 1.6 seconds, you needed a f25 (it's 25 not 2.5 right? ) in order not to have too much light is that it?

Wow! I've just wandered through some back pages from while I was gone. You guys are really exploring and the results are wonderful! Keep 'em coming...you might convince me to use the camera out of the housing some day :wink:

Jamdiver:
Soggy that's some great stuff you have wonderful waterfalls in your neck of the woods :).

Nope, Massachusetts waterfalls suck. Those were all from my July trip to Ithaca, NY, where I went to college (and proposed to my fiancee).

Not the best exposed picture, but this was where I proposed:
Lucifer Falls, Treman Falls State Park
IMG_3596.jpg

wardric:
So basically, to have these effects, you have to set a very slow speed and use a tripod? I'll show some experiences I tried, I didn't have a tripod for these. Any input or advice would be appreciated

Most of them were taken at f/2.8 which is probably wide open on your camera. If you want to capture moving water, you need slow shutter speeds (1/15 or slower). In order to get the slower shutter speeds, you need to let less light into the camera through other means...usually stopping down. If your highest (smallest) f/stop isn't slow enough, consider investing in a 2-3 stop neutral density filter and/or a polarizer (or both). Polarizers will cut down on the reflections in the water and also give you another stop or two to work with. The ND filter will just let light in and also give you more flexibility with f/stop and shutter speed.

Tripods are a pain to go hiking with. I'd recommend, unless you are doing extremely long exposures, try a monopod.

Soggy:
Most of them were taken at f/2.8 which is probably wide open on your camera. If you want to capture moving water, you need slow shutter speeds (1/15 or slower). In order to get the slower shutter speeds, you need to let less light into the camera through other means...usually stopping down. If your highest (smallest) f/stop isn't slow enough, consider investing in a 2-3 stop neutral density filter and/or a polarizer (or both). Polarizers will cut down on the reflections in the water and also give you another stop or two to work with. The ND filter will just let light in and also give you more flexibility with f/stop and shutter speed.

Tripods are a pain to go hiking with. I'd recommend, unless you are doing extremely long exposures, try a monopod.

Thanks for the tips

Beautiful!! Good job, Soggy. (on the fiance...)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom