Meeting New Divers

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Dee

ScubaBoard Supporter
ScubaBoard Supporter
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
Last week DavidofAustin sent out a cry of desperation in the need to get wet. That's all we needed to hear....another diver wanting, no... needing to dive!

Beast and I drove to Austin this morning to meet him at Mansfield Dam. We arrived to find him reading the paper and enjoying the winter sun. After the usual greetings, David and Beast gear up and start down the stairs to the water. I can hear their teeth chattering from the top of the hill!

While they are underwater, a fellow drives up and saunters over to peek at the water. He had that "I want to dive!" look written all over him! He's come to the dam in the hopes of finding a dive buddy. I assure him he'll get his chance if he wants to wait a bit. We spend the next 40 minutes or so getting to know each other, covering backgrounds. He's a fairly new diver and so enthusiastic it makes me remember how I felt at his stage. And guess what his name is? David! Another one. That makes 3 of us if you count my feminine version...Davida.

Beast and David1 return with blue lips and in a hurry to warm up. Both of them were testing new gear and reports were excellent. After their SI, all three buddied up for one last spin. And a good dive was had by all!

David2 has already joined our family here at ScubaBoard and I hope he'll introduce himself to you all soon. Look for BubbleSlinger....I'll let him explain his name!

Beast and I really enjoyed meeting both you guys today. We plan to stay in touch and dive together alot this summer. The Texas Swamp Diving Team is growing! Our internet friends and dive buddies are beginning to outnumber our 'regular' ones!

I'm sure Davidofaustin will report on the particulars but I heard water temps from -10 to 50 something...depending on who you listened to! I've got a few photos but apparently I didn't size them right for an attachment :( I'll try to get them fixed and posted soon.

Dee-

(pardon me for intruding in the Texas thread...)

I got a warm fuzzy feeling from reading your post. :) It was like Scubaboard/Texas Swamp Diver to the rescue. Good to hear that the operation was successful and David1 and 2 were able to get wet. Looking forward to meeting BubbleSlinger too.

Sandy

Sounds like a good weekend, Dee. I'll be looking for the photos!

Sounds like a good time. Thats the thing I love about diving and divers...the brother(and sister)hood of divers. We all tend to stick together. Don't you wish people in everyday life had the same kind of camaraderie!... It would make this big blue marble a better place for sure!

Sounds like a good time but a cold one! Burrr......

Still a bit on the chilly side for me....

Here's a link to some of the photos taken yesterday.

Lake Travis photos

Wow...the lake level is way up from when we were there in October (see next to last photo). Those submerged steps were about 8-10 vertical feet above the Halloween lake level. So I'm jealous that you folks got the extra depth!

((Gonna have to get my shovel and start digging a deeper hole at CSSP!))

Hi

Those pictures make me want to pack the car and go. My only problem is I am not so much into that cold of water, lol. Guess
I need to get my wetsuit resized and get into, lol. Sounds like you had a great time. I can't wait to get together and meet some of you all to dive with. I have found nothing but nice and generous people on this board.

Nice pics DEE!
I thought I had broken the camera when you said something about not being "sized right" :D

I'd like to look at your camera / housing sometime. I think that little digital job, is pretty neat.

Dave
(Huge sigh of relief):mrcool:

A hardy hello to you all from the newbe. Please, let me introduce myself...

My name is David Howarth and I live in Austin... just a few miles from the dam and very close to daveofaustin. I am 48 years old, married for 20, and have a 6 year old granddaughter... yeah, if you do the math, It doesn't work out but I'll save that story for later.:)

I went to St. Lucia last September with my wife for a second honeymoon and took a resort dive course and got two excellent reef dives. I was hooked... enrolled in PADI open water the day I got back... certified on December 16 and should be AOW certified by the end of next weekend. I have about 20 dives but seem to have a knack for it... so my instructers and dive buddies tell me...

Life other than diving... I work at SBC Corporation in a lab testing telecommunications equipment. I enjoy Astronomy and spend many nights looking at the heavens... and shivering alot! I play Golf with my wife... but Scuba has really cut into that. I've played a variety of other sport in my younger days but will save all that for later. One thing we most certainly have in common... I just love diving! Anywhere... anytime! (within my skill level of course)

I look forward to meeting you all and plan to participate in some of the Swamp Diver events this year.

Good diving...
BubbleSlinger

P.S. I also play online war games and am a member of Clan
uncontrollable Chaos (uC) where we compete in several Team Fortress Challenge leagues. My name there is DungSlinger... so BubbleSlinger is an offshoot of that one... FYI

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom