Medical packing list

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

How about an aspirin, just in case some one is having chestpain and angina??
Always in my hypochondriac bag. Wonder drug. I take one a day, two when diving, but then I have seen a heart attack at sea. I appreciate that some cannot take it, ok fine - byo ibuprofen or tylenol.

How about an aspirin, just in case some one is having chestpain and angina??

Aspirin??? I want the good stuff, morphine :D:D:D

This particular trip is to Boanire but we have also booked a liveaboard for next year.

I think her question was for both!

Since you mentioned Bonaire, throw in a couple ounces vinegar. One of the best things for a seawasp sting.

For a good first aid kit, try the 6545-00-922-1200 FIRST AID KIT GENERAL PURPOSE. The standard kit carried in vehicles by the army. Should run you around $25.

Since you mentioned Bonaire, throw in a couple ounces vinegar. One of the best things for a seawasp sting.

For a good first aid kit, try the 6545-00-922-1200 FIRST AID KIT GENERAL PURPOSE. The standard kit carried in vehicles by the army. Should run you around $25.
I think article in DAN's Alert Diver with the new information is in the May/June issue - still not online. I tried to explain it here, but if you have the May/June issue - it should be there. http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/diving-medicine/230816-vinegar-no-longer-included-my-dive-bag.html

Ear drops.

When i was diving in Mexico, it was all good. The day before we had our flight....I wished I had some over the counter ear drops. The flight home was horrendous. I somehow managed to get minor infections in BOTH my ears.

So...over the counter ear drops....though the combination ear/eye drops are what I recommend. Good if you happen to get some conjunctivitis too.

Okay gave this more thot: I do carry a ear drop bottle of alcohol-vinegar mix in my mask box and my toilet bag, use a little after each dive and shower altho the recommendation is 5 minutes each ear once a day. Hydrocortisone tube and antibiotic tube in my dive bag along with a small bottle of alcohol. And I do carry prescription only antibiotic-steroid ear drops just in case I screw up and get an ear infection. I cannot take that pain. Additioanlly, altho I have mentioned some of these - here's the list I should have given (got my bag out now)...
  • Generic sudafed plus;
  • Aspirin;
  • Antihistamines to help prevent motion illness and in case of a sting;
  • Gaviscon to prevent indigestion I get from diving with a hiatal hernia;
  • Laxative in case needed;
  • Gas pills so I can be a courteous roomie.
I use Deet based insect repellent before sundown in appropriate areas, but if I use insect repellent mornings or sunblock - I use the biodegradable now. I had no idea the other stuff was hurting the reefs; do now.

Last edited:
I think article in DAN's Alert Diver with the new information is in the May/June issue - still not online. I tried to explain it here, but if you have the May/June issue - it should be there. http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/diving-medicine/230816-vinegar-no-longer-included-my-dive-bag.html

Hi Dan,

Just checked the Dan Website and the May/June issue. Vinegar is still what you use on box jellyfish stings and the sea wasp is a box jellyfish (Reef Sea Creatrures Paul Humann, page 87). Put the vinegar back in the kit because the sea wasps can be bad on Bonaire at times. The DAN article also said that vinegar should not be used on Portuguese Man of War stings since it causes the remaining cells to fire. Got to know what critter you upset before you start treatment.

just be wary of drugs (over the counter and prescription) as something may be perfectly legal in your country but not in another country

i remember a few years back an aussie girl got in trouble in greece with some panadine (over the counter drugs)

cheers

Forgot alcohol; edited it into last post.
Hi Dan,

Just checked the Dan Website and the May/June issue. Vinegar is still what you use on box jellyfish stings and the sea wasp is a box jellyfish (Reef Sea Creatrures Paul Humann, page 87). Put the vinegar back in the kit because the sea wasps can be bad on Bonaire at times. The DAN article also said that vinegar should not be used on Portuguese Man of War stings since it causes the remaining cells to fire. Got to know what critter you upset before you start treatment.
Did you find the May/June article online? The latest I can find is Mar/April...?

I think the article said to use vinegar only on the Indo-Pacific box, not those of the Atlantic or Hawaii. Can't say for sure, as I lost the issue and can't find it online.

Hot water and Hydrocortizone were the suggestions for all other jellies as I recall...?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom