Medical oxygen cylinder valve type

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Tassie_Rohan

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Anyone got any idea what type and size valve is found on your standard medical oxygen cylinder? And what pressure do the larger (I assume 40-80+ cu ft) medical tanks use?

Do they have a standard DIN/yoke valve?

Cheers,
Rohan.

Tassie_Rohan:
Anyone got any idea what type and size valve is found on your standard medical oxygen cylinder?
In the US, there are two commonly used valves - CGA 540 (which uses a threaded connection) and CGA 870 (which uses a yoke clamp similar to SCUBA). CGA 540 is typically used on larger cylinders, while CGA 870 is used on smaller, more portable cylinders such as those commonly found in DAN oxygen kits. Neither valve type is compatible with SCUBA equipment.

Most medical O2 cylinders in the US have a pressure rating somewhere around 2200 PSI / 150 BAR.

Thanks for the prompt reply.

I'm looking into the feasibility of filling rebreather tanks and providing an emergency O2 source from medical tanks in a remote area: any ideas where to start in the hunt for boosters and adaptors?

Cheers,
Rohan.

Tassie_Rohan:
Thanks for the prompt reply.

I'm looking into the feasibility of filling rebreather tanks and providing an emergency O2 source from medical tanks in a remote area: any ideas where to start in the hunt for boosters and adaptors?

Cheers,
Rohan.

Rohan - try Golem Gear, Tech Blue etc. These guys (as well as others) typically carry whips and boosters. DAN sells a rebreather unit with all the works to provide oxygen till rescue arrives. See their site, relatively inexpensive.

OMS makes a regulator that fits onto CGA540, CGA870, and standard DIN valves. It has outputs for a demand mask and a non-rebreather mask. Something to consider.
The part you're looking for is on the bottom of that page on the right, product number GDS-485.

I found a price list online and the MSRP is apparently ~$515. :11: Anyone know of a cheaper source?

Where is this remote area? Each country has their own unique fittings for O2 cylinders. Here's a list with some of the typical ones:
http://www.watersafety.net/o2tipps/do2adap.htm

Here's a place you can buy the CGA fittings used in the US, teflon hose, and needle valves. http://www.mcmaster.com/

Golem has a nice mini-booster. But why do you need a booster? You should be bringing an already filled suitable O2 supply, no?

A demand valve like those sold by DAN will deliver a high %age of O2 and stretch limited supplies. Better to have a FFM with a scuba reg so you can use IWR

For diving in remote areas, you should also familiarize yourself with in-water recompression protocols and have the equipment and people on hand to effect IWR. Google Richard Pyle, he has a couple of good review papers.

I don't know if this will help you at all, but I have an old O2 medical bottle with a tapered post valve, that fits a standard Yoke reg with no issues at all. So like rjack was saying, it could depend entirely upon where you're located as to what fitting they have.

Cheers for all the replies guys - I'll start looking into them. Ditto thanks for the lead for IWR proceedures rjack -I was just starting to hunt for sources.

Will have to modify any IWR tables for 6500+ ft altitude: will search around and see whats avaliable.

We're looking at a remote lake in outer Mongolia, two days journey from a city and 1000's of kilometres from the nearest dive operation. I expect to find a mixture of european, chinese and soviet fittings at the one gas supply place in the country: will have to have a look and find out.

Flicked through Vance Harlows Oxy Hacker guide last night - also has a lot of info on transfilling whips and safe filling proceedures.

Cheers,
Rohan.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom