Medical form for dive op?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I repeat for the third time in this thread: that is the OLD form and no longer valid.
Since the dive op is just making stuff up, does anyone think they care which version of the questions they are using?

They are mis-applying a set of questions from a different process. I claim they are highly unlikely to be reviewing and updating their questions.

I dived actively from 1970-1980, I have no memory of completing a medical form for my LA County training, perhaps I did. I was 16 years old, a minor, I suspect my parents had to sign a release, but don't remember that either.

Skip ahead. I have been a very active diver since 1997. I submitted medical forms for all my PADI training, last in 2005, and for my SDI Solo course in 2013. I don't intend on any additional training.

Thus far, I have never had to submit medical clearance for diving with any operator or on any liveaboard. I have visited a few modestly challenging areas such as Red Sea, Cocos, Galapagos, Revillagigedos, and Malpelo. Some of my drift dives in SE Florida over the past 13 years have been at least equally challenging.

In the future, if a medical clearance is required by an operator or liveaboard, I would have to evaluate how much I wanted to dive with that operator or on that liveaboard and what options might be available to me. If using the RSTC form, I would fail screening and be required to undergo medical evaluation. I'm quite sure I would be approved to dive and would be glad to submit the page 3 approval to fulfill the requirement. I would not turn over the page 1 and 2 questionnaires.

There is absolutely no way I could remember after 33 years how many places or what operators asked for it, but surely everyone on this board has seen this form at some point
Yes, everyone has seen the medical form, old new, or middle aged.

The issue was whether we were asked to submit it for diving without any instruction.

Yes, everyone has seen the medical form, old new, or middle aged.

The issue was whether we were asked to submit it for diving without any instruction.
However, given that much of the criticism is derived from the old form, looking at the new form might modify some of that criticism. Just like AOW has been modified, but the criticism is of the old class, Boat Diver has been modified, etc. Critics need to stay up-to-date just like instructors do.

Old or new - the Rx question remains on the RSTC form. I have seldom met anyone over 50 that doesn’t take a statin or one of the myriad of other wonderprofit drugs.

Most medical forms I have been asked to complete by resorts are very general and nowhere nearly as detailed as the RSTC.

However, given that much of the criticism is derived from the old form, looking at the new form might modify some of that criticism. Just like AOW has been modified, but the criticism is of the old class, Boat Diver has been modified, etc. Critics need to stay up-to-date just like instructors do.
Some people are too focused on the specifics of the form. Others feel that NO medical questions should be asked - just as NO medical questions are asked for almost every other activity. So the form is just a red herring.

I am clearly in the no questions camp. I do not care what they are or where they came from. Asking personally invasive questions is highly inappropriate and is not tolerated in other situations. I can not understand why people think scuba diving is special.

Diving can be dangerous. Lots of other things are much more dangerous. The only valid question should be "Do you realize this may be a dangerous activity?".

i guess i'm thinking that in a case of severe injury or death, it is possible for a dive op to be held liable for an accident that wasn't their fault. they "transported a diver to a dive site without doing due diligence to ensure they're fit for the dive" or something like that.
What dive op is qualified to determine who is fit to dive?

What dive op is qualified to determine who is fit to dive?
None, really. That is why the intent of the form is to say either "no issues" or "issues, but doc says it is OK". This is why my personal preference is to NOT provide the information that would allow a dive op to make an incorrect judgement, but just to see the "no issues" or "OK to dive" results of all that information. The problem is, people lie, so if you just ask them, "any issues?" they'll often just say No, whether or not that is true. So you ask them for a signed form that says no issues, then it is a little harder to lie. The problem is people, not the form.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom