Medical form for dive op?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I know that I’m going to have to fill out that form for a scuba class. I have no idea whether I would have to fill that form out for a boat trip, and I don’t want to find out when I get to the boat that they’re popping a surprise form on me. Especially since I’m over 45, and like nearly all people who are over 45 I probably fit one of the associated boxes. Who isn’t taking a statin? So it’s lie to get on the boat, or tell the truth and have the vacation trashed. Huh.

I have a heart condition and other life long ouchies so I just bring one every time and hand it to them anyway. Don't want any issues with DAN if things go bad.

I repeat for the third time in this thread: that is the OLD form and no longer valid.

Well then maybe PADI should remove it from theior website to avoid confusion. I have however seen that form used within the last 10-11 yrs (or a version of it)

I have no idea whether I would have to fill that form out for a boat trip, and I don’t want to find out when I get to the boat that they’re popping a surprise form on me.
I agree with all you said. Fortunately, most boat ops have their requirements stated on their website, including forms they want you to fill out. If they don't, I'd contact them and ask. If despite my best efforts they were to spring something on me at the last minute, I would do what it takes to get on the boat.

I repeat for the third time in this thread: that is the OLD form and no longer valid.

That new form, which I've not seen until you posted it, is rather complicated!

I still stand on my prior conviction. No way am I going to provide a dive charter that much information about me. I don't dive in other countries and I don't do liveaboards, so I'm able to hold to that for now. Hoping I'm not forced to reassess my position in the future to be able to dive. Given that I dive almost exclusively in Florida and this is one of the last states where that is likely to become common practice, I should be good.

That new form, which I've not seen until you posted it, is rather complicated!

I still stand on my prior conviction. No way am I going to provide a dive charter that much information about me. I don't dive in other countries and I don't do liveaboards, so I'm able to hold to that for now. Hoping I'm not forced to reassess my position in the future to be able to dive. Given that I dive almost exclusively in Florida and this is one of the last states where that is likely to become common practice, I should be good.

I just bring page 3 of the DAN form for charters (class instructors get all 3 pages) when I travel, the one that has the giant check boxes that says approved to dive and then all the stuff that identifies the doctor. That's all they need to know, a doc inside a recent timeline, has cleared me to dive. Doesn't reveal anything about me other than I saw a dive medicine doctor, and he said yup diving shouldn't kill him lol.

I just bring page 3 of the DAN form for charters (class instructors get all 3 pages) when I travel, the one that has the giant check boxes that says approved to dive and then all the stuff that identifies the doctor. That's all they need to know, a doc inside a recent timeline, has cleared me to dive. Doesn't reveal anything about me other than I saw a dive medicine doctor, and he said yup diving shouldn't kill him lol.

But you see, I refuse to do that on a yearly basis. I could do it, but I'm stubborn. I won't do it because I shouldn't have to. I did that when I was a dive professional as PADI required it. I did it when taking courses because PADI/TDI required it. I'm done with that nonsense and refuse to do it. I'm no longer a pro and am done taking courses. IF the industry gets to a point that charter boats in Florida required it, I would comply instead of not dive. But until that point, I'm not doing it.

But you see, I refuse to do that on a yearly basis. I could do it, but I'm stubborn. I won't do it because I shouldn't have to. I did that when I was a dive professional as PADI required it. I did it when taking courses because PADI/TDI required it. I'm done with that nonsense and refuse to do it. I'm no longer a pro and am done taking courses. IF the industry gets to a point that charter boats in Florida required it, I would comply instead of not dive. But until that point, I'm not doing it.

Each their own, I'm not a pro but do a yearly dive exam. Rather know that a dive doc thinks something is up at the surface before its an issue. Obviously in conjunction with just a normal yearly physical, same hospital system so they can access my more routine medical records. I have nothing that I'm really overly worried or concerned about, but I'm not a doc so let them take a glance and determine it. Figure I have world-class diving medical physicians that have a very reasonable walk-in rate, take advantage of it.

Well then maybe PADI should remove it from theior website to avoid confusion. I have however seen that form used within the last 10-11 yrs (or a version of it)
It is new as of 2020. Where are you finding the old one? I see only the new one.

Argumentum ad nauseum. You can take anything to the extremes and show it is silly. Like drinking water...too much is a medical emergency, so you'd argue don't drink any at all?

If I spend $2k to get to a liveaboard and $3k for the dive boat -- times 2 for me and my wife -- and then the trip gets turned around because some egotistical self-centered idiot refused to disclose a recent heart valve replacement, do I have a right to be upset? You betcha. He was willing to take the risk....but he also had a huge negative effect on 20 other passengers.....did he have that right? He should not have been on the boat. Now, if someone on the same trip -- minus the idiot -- is in great health and never the less has a heart attack, then that's life. He did nothing purposeful to negatively affect me, unlike the idiot.

This is rather unlike your examples. Flying on an airplane is not typically a life-threatening activity, unlike diving. Riding on subways, night clubs, hockey matches.....I'm not out $10k and my week of vacation if something goes awry.
Your scuba LOB trip is not special. There are lots of other types of travel adventures that make a LOB trip look cheap. None of them would ever consider asking these types of questions. Scuba is not special.

I recently witnessed elderly out of shape feeble passengers attempt a strenuous hike up a hill in Greenland. Pissed me off a bit as it severely limited our hike as our group was slowed to their speed and ability. Lots of falls on slippery rocks occured. I was amazed that no heart attacks or broken limbs occured. On subsequent hikes the guides separated these folks out for a "gentle walker" hike.

The nearest "real" medical facility was several days away.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom