Medical form for dive op?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Well, new to me I guess. I had dived for about 20 years in roughly 35 locations around the world (check my profile) with an uncounted number of operations before I was first asked to provide a medical for diving rather than getting instruction. That was evidently a sheltered existence. Perhaps you could supply the names of some of the places where you have been required to provide a medical statement for diving since 1989.

There is absolutely no way I could remember after 33 years how many places or what operators asked for it, but surely everyone on this board has seen this form at some point

Attachments

• Screenshot_20220907-112214_Samsung Internet.jpg
    Screenshot_20220907-112214_Samsung Internet.jpg
    127.6 KB · Views: 45
The current form asks if you have high blood pressure; it does not ask if you have high blood pressure if you are unmedicated. Reading the form narrowly, rather than trying to read too much into it, you could comfortably answer you do not have high blood pressure. Also, the HBP question is only applicable if you are over 45. the form is all about risk factors -- not YOU specifically -- and it is the age plus HBP that is the issue, not just one of them alone. It is much better than the old form, which asked "High blood pressure or take medicine to control blood pressure?" to which a Yes meant a required doctor's signature.
Agreed regarding hypertension. But the form asks if you are taking any medication. Nothing about age. In his case, that would be a YES and a doctor’s consent would be required.

There is absolutely no way I could remember after 33 years how many places or what operators asked for it, but surely everyone on this board has seen this form at some point
That is the old form, no longer acceptable for training or other purposes.
The new form is here and is attached.

Attachments

• Diver_Medical_Participant_Questionnaire_10346_EN_English_2022-01-17.pdf
    637.1 KB · Views: 80
Agreed regarding hypertension. But the form asks if you are taking any medication. Nothing about age. In his case, that would be a YES and a doctor’s consent would be required.
Asks if you're over 45 yo

I feel so fortunate that I have the UCSD dive medicine clinic available. Their walk in rates are really reasonable and since my other health care is at the UCSD system they can pull it up. So when they say I'm clear to dive, I have a very high confidence that I am. I plan on getting an annual dive medical, if a dive medicine doctor thinks I shouldn't be in the water for one reason or another, I'd prefer to know at sea level rather than having that conversation in an ER or chamber ride. Air Force said I had to get annual flight physicals to go fly, this doesn't seem that different, also since I have the access might as well use it.

Quite true. My bad for focussing on the HBP question/issue of the poster.
The two questions that do immediately require a doctor's signature are related to surgery and taking medications. Other questions MAY require a doctor's signature.

What you think a boat is required to do for you and what the law thinks a boat is required to do for you are apparently not the same thing. If there is a fatality, and the boat crew did not do what was required of them by law, not only will they be sued, they will face legal penalties as well.
Yes, and that's become more obvious over time; past observations of some of @Wookie posts impressed me captains have a lot more responsibility than just driving the boat.

In the wake of the Conception disaster that killed 34 people, there was an intense focus on the alleged lack of a roving night watch...something I had no idea was required (and I'd been on a trip on its sibling liveaboard, the Vision, previously). There's been a push for manslaughter charges against the captain (and there's been drama about that not worth going off on a tangent about here).

If I spend $2k to get to a liveaboard and $3k for the dive boat -- times 2 for me and my wife -- and then the trip gets turned around because some egotistical self-centered idiot refused to disclose a recent heart valve replacement, do I have a right to be upset? You betcha. He was willing to take the risk....but he also had a huge negative effect on 20 other passengers.....did he have that right? He should not have been on the boat.
I don't think any of us are apt to disagree with you. Your answer, coupled with some others, speaks to the fact people often disagree on an issue due to seeing it from different perspectives. The issue of putting 'No' on a medical form to preserve confidentiality and one's autonomy to go on a trip comes up in debate. You think of some guy with a recent heart valve replacement. I think of a guy with a well-controlled hypertension, or something else fairly incidental. Neither of us is wrong; both types (or similar) happen.
You can take anything to the extremes and show it is silly.
Agreed. But not everyone agrees on where the line is, and especially not whether to trust someone else (e.g.: the dive op., or a physician) to make that call. But as you point out, you may not trust your fellow diver to make it, either. And round and round we go...

And we won't all agree when this thread finally dies a slow death (again, judging by history). But as each of us has put forward a position and rationale, others can read and decide for themselves.

Asks if you're over 45 yo
That only matters if you are a smoker, or have high blood pressure or cholesterol levels, or a family history of strokes or heart issues.

That only matters if you are a smoker, or have high blood pressure or cholesterol levels, or a family history of strokes or heart issues.
See attached

Attachments

• 20220907_113855.jpg
    20220907_113855.jpg
    10.9 KB · Views: 43
https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom