Medical Air Compressor for use in Swimming Pools

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Jim Reece

Registered
Reaction score
This is my first post. I am a certified diver, but have not dove in years. I have a new 6' deep swimming pool and would like to stay underwater for an extended amount of time for detailed cleaning. And if I happen to play a little bit, then so be it. I am looking for an inexpensive, but safe way to supply pressure to a SCUBA regulator. I have looked at the hookah / third lung systems, but they are expensive for what I want to do. I was wondering if I could use a medical air compressor such as the PM50 EasyComp Compressor ($280) or Invacare Aerosol 50 PSI Breathing Air Compressor ($300) available from medical supply stores. The problem is that they have a maximum pressure of 50psi at 15lpm. I know the normal operating pressure of a SCUBA regulator is 120-160psi. So I was unsure if this would work at all. But, I am only diving 6' deep to clean my pool. Any comments or recommendations?

My first thought is, do you really want something run by electricity next to your pool?

15lpm sound a little low to me for breathing air use. It would probably give you SOME air but maybe not enough to do anything underwater. If the compressor gives enough high quality properly filtered air then it should be no problem but maybe something a little larger capacity would be a better bet?

if you already have a regulator and a 1st stage you could just borrow a scuba tank and use that, it will last forever if it's only 6' deep

at the bottom of the pool you are already at close to 18psi. trying to force your breathing air through the hose and 2nd stage with a pressure differential of 32 psi is possible but not exactly optimal and the delivered air is too low to do hard work. 15 lpm at the surface works out to be less at a depth of 6', this would end up around 12lpm which is plenty for a relaxed diver during deco, but too little for doing any sort of work.
it would probably be cheaper to rent 4-6 tanks from a diveshop every few months when the cleaning urge hits you.
Sorry that this is not what you wanted to hear.

Michael

I appreciate the responses. I was skeptical too about the pressure and flow rate myself. The electrical part did not concern me because I can put the compressor a minimum of 20 feet away from the pool on GFCI and the pool water itself is bonded. So I would have no concerns about that. But the pressure and flow was my big question too. I don't have any equipment, but maybe I can buy a used tank and regulator. I remember when I sold my old equipment, someone got a good deal. Thanks again and if anyone has any other recommendations, I appreciate that too.

https://www.lowes.com/pd/Kobalt-QUI...ctric-Hot-Dog-Quiet-Air-Compressor/1000405185

I believe one of these, plus a few parts (hose, second stage, maybe a filter) will do the trick. The guy in this thread sent an air sample out of the compressor to a friend at NASA with gas analysis equipment and got back good results.

Don't skip the critical steps of cleaning and sanitizing the internals of the compressor first!

$50 Harbor Freight hookah system testing

Unless you're a natural sinker, you're going to need a weight belt and some lead.

1 cfm = 18 lpm

Most divers will try to breathe more than 1 cfm at some points during the dive. So 15 lpm would be insufficient.

Medical air USP is a lower standandard than Grade E SCUBA air.

People do use the oilless compressors like the one linked upthread. It makes sense. It isn't an experiment I would run but then again I like my lungs the way they are.

You could just buy a SCUBA cylinder or two and use those, and get fills at your local dive shop. If you want to leave it on the pool deck and use a 50' or 100' hose, you can.

1 cfm = 18 lpm

Most divers will try to breathe more than 1 cfm at some points during the dive. So 15 lpm would be insufficient.

Medical air USP is a lower standandard than Grade E SCUBA air.

People do use the oilless compressors like the one linked upthread. It makes sense. It isn't an experiment I would run but then again I like my lungs the way they are.

You could just buy a SCUBA cylinder or two and use those, and get fills at your local dive shop. If you want to leave it on the pool deck and use a 50' or 100' hose, you can.
yeah, you can get a used al80 cheaper than that compressor. You'll need a second stage and hose either way. You'll need a first stage with the tank.. about the same price in the end I suspect. Easy decision for those of us who already own some gear.

Like you said, you Might be okay with the compressor.. you definitely will be okay with the scuba tank. Well maybe 99.9%.. bad air fills happen.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom