Medical Air Compressor for use in Swimming Pools

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Sorry for the off topic, but it's a pain point for me.

I use scuba tanks instead of air compressors.
There's actually an excellent reason to do this as a matter of course. All "home gamer" air compressors are basically complete lies when it comes to the air flow rating. If you see a rating in "Standard Cubic Feet Per Minute" or "SCFM" instead of actual CFM then you know you're being duped. This includes dewalt, kobalt, anything that is sold for under $1k. The deal is the CFM rating is actually measured at 0psi (or technically, 13.7 I guess) on the output with xxpsi in the tank. So if it says 2.3cmf@90psi that means it will spew out 2.3cfm into the atomosphere with no tool attached and 90cfm in the tank. If you attach a tool that needs 90psi, you'll actually get something closer to 0.8cfm.

Real shop compressors (cheapest I've seen is around 1300) don't pull this scam.

So if you don't want to pay a thousand bucks for a compressor and you need to run a tool that requires a lot of air flow. Such as an air wrench that might want 4cfm@90psi. A scuba tank will GIT - R - DONE for the cost of a fill. That $600 dewalt compressor will not.

It took me a long time to figure out why I couldn't get any compressors to run a simple air wrench for working on my car... SCFM ratings should be outlawed in the US. They exist exclusively to fool consumers.

none of this matter for low volume tools. Framing nailers, staplers, some paint guns. Paint guns can be tricky. The plastic harbor freight HVLP sprayer wants 12cfm@40psi! You're gonna need a bigger boat for that bad boy. I suspect the scfm discrepancy is why air sprayers have a mixed reputation for results.

In retrospect, the guilt associated with this may be the reason some compressors come with free lube.

https://www.lowes.com/pd/Kobalt-QUI...ctric-Hot-Dog-Quiet-Air-Compressor/1000405185

I believe one of these, plus a few parts (hose, second stage, maybe a filter) will do the trick. The guy in this thread sent an air sample out of the compressor to a friend at NASA with gas analysis equipment and got back good results.

Don't skip the critical steps of cleaning and sanitizing the internals of the compressor first!

$50 Harbor Freight hookah system testing

Unless you're a natural sinker, you're going to need a weight belt and some lead.

The "$50 Harbor Freight hookah system" is an interesting conversation. I always assumed these air compressors were unusable for breathing, even the oilless compressors. Thanks for the reference.

Shop compressors have storage tanks, the larger the better. Most home shop uses are not continuous so cfm is not as important as storage tank size and pressure.
I have a 200 psi, 5.4 scfm @ 90 psi actual, 15 gallon tank DeWalt $400 compressor. I have no problem running impact wrenches, a sand blast cabinet, spray gun and similar tools.
It wouldn't work in a commercial shop with multiple users but it is fine in my garage.
Spray guns are pressure dependent, if the compressor system can maintain pressure at the gun then the CFM is enough.

SCFM is the the standard atmospheric pressure and temperature used when measuring the compressor output, commonly expressed as SCFM. A more accurate way would be to say 5 CFM @ 68 degrees F and 14.7 APSI
Actual CFM changes according to the temperature and atmospheric pressure conditions at the time of operation.

Could just use this rig...
scuba-diving-with-propane-and-propane-accessories.jpg

url

Sorry for the off topic, but it's a pain point for me.

In retrospect, the guilt associated with this may be the reason some compressors come with free lube.

Part of me wants to hear the rest of this story, but the majority of me does not...

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom