Medic FA being replaced

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I was not aware that no one else recognized the PADI MFA course. It was developed by a company called EMP, Intl. The EMP course is marketed towards industry and is recognized by OSHA. PADI is only licensed to market the SCUBA industry. In whole, I think it is a desent course, I just think that a more "beefy" course would be better. And I believe that MFA instructors are in fact CPR instructors, in that CPR is part of the curriculum of the course.

cmay once bubbled...
I was not aware that no one else recognized the PADI MFA course. It was developed by a company called EMP, Intl. The EMP course is marketed towards industry and is recognized by OSHA. PADI is only licensed to market the SCUBA industry. In whole, I think it is a desent course, I just think that a more "beefy" course would be better. And I believe that MFA instructors are in fact CPR instructors, in that CPR is part of the curriculum of the course.

MFA Instructors do not have to be CPR Instructors. For that reason mfa students practiced cpr but are not recognized.

devilfish,

I believe you are mistaken, CPR is recognized as being part of the course. The CPR portion of the course is based on the American Heart Association Guidelines for CPR and Emergency Cardiac Care, and is recognized as such.

otter-cat once bubbled...
Are all PADI instructors certified to teach the MFA course, or do they need additional training/certification?

No, not all Instructors. MFA is a specialty. However a MFA Instructor does not have to be a CPR instructor.

Additional training through a course director is required before teaching MFA.

Instructors and Divemasters I ask you this:

Does it not make sence to get certified as a REAL DEAL instructor ?

CPR / AED instructor by the Heart and Stroke Fountation
First Aid Instructor by St. Johns Ambulance or become a BLS/BTLS/First Responder instructor ?

These credentials can be used to teach with colleges not just with PADI.The real credientials can be used to teach industry.Try marketing the EFR course and see how many takers you will have compared to Heart and Stroke certs.

I work for a college that teaches in the health care professions from ground up basic cpr to nursing and paramedic. The instructors just laugh at PADI.

Now is the time for change and the change for me will be the real deal.I am sure glad I did not take the MFA instructors course .

BTW I also did not buy the insurance from the "padi approved" agencies either.

Ron

I don't want to teach first aid at a college or industry. I need to teach cpr and basic first aid to would be Rescue divers and dive masters. The PADI course will work both in the class room and in the field.
cpr is cpr. We don't make splints we dial 911.

I have thought about goig the full rout (first responder or emt) but haven't moved on it yet. The time commitment is significant. A rating of this kind would permit the use of more effective equipment (tubes, bags, IV's)

MikeFerrara once bubbled...
I don't want to teach first aid at a college or industry. I need to teach cpr and basic first aid to would be Rescue divers and dive masters. The PADI course will work both in the class room and in the field.

I am refering to cost recovery on gettting money back for the EFR cert.

For me ,I would have to fly to Calgary or Vancouver (or attend Dema) to get EFR instructor rating.Cost of flight,3 nights hotel, materials,cost of course and admin fees I coud bet on spending over $1000.00

In our small market we average 4 rescue divers a year. NOT classes but 4 students a year that go that far.

Teach cpr/first aid/aed to the public and make $35.00 per hour.
Do the math

BTW Mike , are you a PADI CD :)

Ron

Back
Top Bottom