Meadow - Worth a stop

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Do you go there much anymore or is it not really woth the drive after being there a few times?
Used to hit it on trips back from Lake Mead once or twice a year during the winter just to warm up. Now I go when someone new hasn't heard of it and wants to go. So in about four weeks on the way back from Sand Hollow we'll stop and drain our tanks since a couple of divers haven't been there.

If you are a true cave diver I doubt this would appease you. It is neat for me in my limited experience, but it does not go in very deep so I wonder if you would be bored with the area (as far as caving goes). I am looking to go again soon and have an underwater camera. Next time I'll take some pictures and video so you have an idea of what it is like.

I never thought of hitting Meadow on my way back from Sand Hollow. I'm diving Sand Hollow in May also. I'll take an extra tank to dive there on my way back.

Hi Everybody,

As of today, I can tell y'all with certainty that there is not a diveable passage in either of the three Meadow Springs pools. The main spring is quite pleasant, the second is nearly as nice, the third is awful. The cavern and possible passage mentioned previously in this thread is very silty and not diver-friendly at all, even for cave divers. Except for curiosity, there is no reason to enter this cavern. The slightest errant fin kick will cause a silt explosion akin to a nuclear cloud. Even with my best cave diver fin kick today, the cavern silted out. There is a very large piece of sage brush in the cavern in a position that, if you are silted out and you encounter it, it would be quite alarming.

Best advice ... look into the cavern from the outside if you must, but don't go inside.

Wendell Nope
wnope@utah.gov email
Wendell Nope SCUBA Web Pages web

Way cool... I have dove Bear Lake over your way, but this sounds neat... especially for a winter dive! :D

I hit Meadow on my way back from a Sand Hollow Dive last weekend. It definitely was the best dive that weekend since Sand Hollow's vis was around 5'-10' where ever we went. We only dove pool 1 which is the closest to the parking lot. We were too tied after that dive to lug our gear to pool 2. If it is a nice as pool 1 then we will be diving that on next time.

We drove up to pool 3. It looked gross, even though it had a dive platform. I don't think we will be spending time diving that one any time soon. I may have to take a trip in the next week or so to dive pool 2 though.

You may like it although I didn't think it was worth the effort to haul gear to it. It's not big and it's not pretty. I was looking for a passageway or else I wouldn't have even splashed.

Did a quick stop by Meadows Hot Springs earlier this week. Other than the hot springs diving novelty, I didn't find the dives interesting. The main pool was hot at 37 C (99 F) and only went down to 7.4 m (24 ft). One can last about 20 minutes in this temperature but not much more. The cavern area is tiny (about the size of Devil's Eye at Ginnie Springs). In fact, probably does not qualify to be called a cavern since the overhead is just a few minor overhangs sticking out about 1-1.5m (2-5 ft) from the walls. Since there was nothing else to do (takes 2-3 minutes to see everything), I spent the rest of the short dive collecting all the junk that rednecks had discarded in the pool (light sticks, light bracelets, bottles, cans, etc). I brought out a noticeable pile of trash. I wonder how long it will take for people to get new trash in the spring.

Pool 3 was perfect temperature at 29 C (84 F) and one could stay in it indefinitely. Unfortunately, it only goes down 3.5 m (12 ft) with nothing of interest. There is a small crack that one can't get into which has collected some trash. If I had a stick, I would probably try to get it out, but I didn't.

Didn't even try diving in Pool 2 since it looked very shallow and the water visibility was low due to algae bloom. It did have some fish in it however. Pools 1 and 3 were very crystal clear in comparison but I didn't see any fish in them - only a few algae outcrops in the shallows and some light algae/sediments on the bottom which reduce visibility when disturbed.

Hope this information is helpful for anyone else who would like to visit these springs.

Reactions: g2
https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom