Meadow - Worth a stop

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

PToone

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
So, I know a bunch of you have not heard of the Meadow springs in Meadow, UT; but I thought I'd share a bit about the area so you could consider visiting it.

Meadow has three hot springs on the porperty (really nice and well kept by the way).

The first and main pool is East of the parking lot. It is fairly large and goes down 30 feet. This pool has some lower caverns that the average hot spring soaker doesn't even know about. Another cool thing to see in this spring is a large crack that looks like it goes back quite a ways. You 'could' get into it if you were skinny and took your gear off, but I'm sure there are rocks blocking the entrance for a reason. (I've heard rumors that a diver died while getting lost back in the tunnels of that crack...may be true, may be not true!!) Anyways, main pool is about 95 degrees and 30ft deep. Definitely a 20-30 min dive if you can last. Not much longer.

Pools 2 and 3 are South of the Parking Lot. Pool 2 is shallow and cooler...not anything to dive in.

Pool 3 is the neatest looking pool of the three. It is close to the same size of Pool 1 but much cooler. Recorded temps of around 85 on the surface. This pool has about half of the pool in about 2 ft of water. The other half is a hole that goes straight down 14 ft. But if you head west once in the big hole you'll see a small cave-like thing that leads down to further depths. If you continue to follow it, it leads you to an area that I would imagine is a type of underwater river. You come to a T at the end of the little cave and the water temp is sharply decreased to about 66. It looks like it ?could? go both left and right for a small distance but it is a shallow roof and once you hit the bottom (you will) your vis goes to ZERO. So be prepared to watch your gauges for the swim back to make sure you're going the correct direction. Watch for depth to get shallower and temp to raise...you'll find your way back. (It wasn't too hard to get back out of hte cave)

Anyways, I'd suggest a trip if you're in the area or are bored on a weekend. Bring the family, mine enjoyed sitting in the hot springs while I provided bubble service! Insta-Hot Tub with Jets!!

Directions:
Take the Meadow exit 158 south of Fillmore on I-15 Southbound. Turn left at the stop sign and go under the freeway. You will pass a Chevron station on the right and be heading south. Keep going south out of the town of Meadow (about 1.5 miles) until you pass the last buildings on the left. Shortly after passing the buildings on the left you will see a well graded dirt road on the right. This road will take you back over I-15. On this road you will see several roads heading off in different directions, just stay on this road heading west until you get to the parking area, you canÁÕ miss it. The main spring is located about 150 yards from the parking area.

Oh, and I visited in the night so I don't have pictures this time.

Also...don't drive on the property past the gate in the parking area. Some people drove past while I was there and got ticketed.

When you say "lower caverns", are you referring to overhead conditions in pool 1?

It sounds like a fun dive, although the tunnel in pool 3 concerns me. How far can you go in before finding yourself in overhead?

I may have to go check this out this weekend. It's my last chance to dive before I'm sidelined for surgery.

Sounds like a lot of fun. I'll definitely make it a family experience after your review.

When you say "lower caverns", are you referring to overhead conditions in pool 1?

It sounds like a fun dive, although the tunnel in pool 3 concerns me. How far can you go in before finding yourself in overhead?

I may have to go check this out this weekend. It's my last chance to dive before I'm sidelined for surgery.

Well, the top pool is large, then you go through a 6ft diameter hole into a cavern that is pretty large. (Kind of like you entered a larger room through a smaller hole)

Pool 3 you can go in the 'cave/tunnel' about 8 ft before you reach the T. Really not as bad/scary as I may have made it sound, but once you hit the bottom you definitely lose all visability.

This is speaking in general
PToone:
You 'could' get into it if you were skinny and took your gear off, but I'm sure there are rocks blocking the entrance for a reason. (I've heard rumors that a diver died while getting lost back in the tunnels of that crack...may be true, may be not true!!)
A known Utah cave diver says it's not accessable even with side mount. Not sure which pond(s) he's been in. Regardless unless you have training I would stay clear of exploring further.

PToone:
If you continue to follow it, it leads you to an area that I would imagine is a type of underwater river. You come to a T at the end of the little cave and the water temp is sharply decreased to about 66. It looks like it ?could? go both left and right for a small distance but it is a shallow roof and once you hit the bottom (you will) your vis goes to ZERO. So be prepared to watch your gauges for the swim back to make sure you're going the correct direction. Watch for depth to get shallower and temp to raise...you'll find your way back. (It wasn't too hard to get back out of hte cave)
This concerns me. I wasn't aware that using temperature and only a compass was a proper way of navigating a cave.

rollerboi:
How far can you go in before finding yourself in overhead?
Far enough to be out of the light zone and not have direct access to the surface.

This is speaking in general

A known Utah cave diver says it's not accessable even with side mount. Not sure which pond(s) he's been in. Regardless unless you have training I would stay clear of exploring further.

This concerns me. I wasn't aware that using temperature and only a compass was a proper way of navigating a cave.

I'm sure you're right...the "if you took your gear 'off' and were skinny you could get in" comment was a way of saying..don't do it/ can't do it. Sorry, I wish they had an 'I'm being sarcastic' emoticon.

Don't get too worked up, R0gue, the cave/tunnel thing in Pool 3 isn't difficult to get out of; thats why I didn't call it a Cave or Tunnel... cause it is neither. Its more of a passage. Visit it and you'll see what I'm talking about.

Seems that some people get too worked up on this board. Have fun...dive...be safe.. and relax! :)

Anyways, since this was an informative post/review of Meadow Hot Springs I'd say go check it out, be safe and don't slip into any cracks! :)

Don't get too worked up, R0gue, the cave/tunnel thing in Pool 3 isn't difficult to get out of; thats why I didn't call it a Cave or Tunnel... cause it is neither. Its more of a passage. Visit it and you'll see what I'm talking about.

Seems that some people get too worked up on this board. Have fun...dive...be safe.. and relax! :)
All to familiar with the meadows. First time there was about 15 years ago.
Not enough sarcastic posts for folks to figure me out yet I guess.:eyebrow: My comment on the bold text was meant to be a bit tongue n cheek about OH procedures. I guess I should have added the :wink:. Sorry if it came across as being worked up. Not the intended case.

Do you go there much anymore or is it not really woth the drive after being there a few times?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom