MCH6 electric motor Compressor Filter requirements?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

maik

New
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
For breathing air/SCUBA should I use SC000340 with molecular sieve and activated carbon or SC000340-MHC Molecular sieve, CO catalyst, and activated carbon. I have the MCH6 Electric motor not Gas engine version.

molecular sieve and carbon will do fine on electric version.
c/o catalyst is for petrol/gas version.

Make sure mol sieve is good before use.
put a small amount on a dry flat surface
then put a few drops of water on it
If its good to go it will get very hot.
Its just a quick check if its been in store for some time.

molecular sieve and carbon will do fine on electric version.
c/o catalyst is for petrol/gas version.

Make sure mol sieve is good before use.
put a small amount on a dry flat surface
then put a few drops of water on it
If its good to go it will get very hot.
Its just a quick check if its been in store for some time.

1) electric compressors can generate CO too. Use CO catalyst in both
2) This method is not reliable. Molecular sieve and filters have a unused shelf life for a reason.
3) Active monitoring of the relative humidity of the outlet gas is the right way to track filter performance.

The Coltri filters I purchased also have a moisture indicator in the filter. They turn from Blue to Pink when the moisture level is too high.

I run an electric motor and do not have filters with CO catalyst. I do have a CO tester which I test the tanks with though. I make sure my source of air is away from car exhausts and other sources of CO.

I am about to start repacking these filters.

@rjack321 how do you monitor relative humidity of the outlet gas?

3) Active monitoring of the relative humidity of the outlet gas is the right way to track filter performance.

I’d love to. But how? Do you have a method? If I could add that to my O2 and CO monitoring, I’d be thrilled: guaranteed not deadly/not wet fills...

Visual Indicators - August Industries Inc.

Grade E is <20% RH at 3000psi. Using the 10/20/30 RH indicator disk change your filter once the 20% section is going pink. The disks are reusable like LP compressor desiccant. Hold it with tweezers and hit it with a hair dryer for ~4mins and pop it back in. Some of mine have lasted for up to 8 years of reusing them.

PS
If you are ice diving (in MI) and worried about freeze ups from internal moisture you can go even drier just to be on the safe side.

Ah. I actually *have* one of those on my compressor, but the glass is smudged and the eye is in a really bad place, so I’ve never been able to use it! :)

Maybe I’ll investigate making it more usable...

Ah. I actually *have* one of those on my compressor, but the glass is smudged and the eye is in a really bad place, so I’ve never been able to use it! :)

Maybe I’ll investigate making it more usable...

The gold colored ones (sold by I'm not sure whom) have always been hazy. You might be able to polish yours, it doesn't need to be hubble telescope quality optics.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom