May we start May?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Ok well if anyone else is there on Saturday and wants to meet up come to Kelly's Pub. I will try to get there early and get a table reserved and like I said I will have on a Patriots hat. It is mainly Grey.

What time?
:cheers: :clock: ?

What time?
:cheers: :clock: ?
I will probably head there around 7. If you or anyone else have mins for Mexico you can call me and I am up for grabbing a bite or a drink any time. Just pm me for the number.

don

My canister came in. I own a PLB satellite emergency beacon, but rent a canister for dive trips. I guess I should start packing soon so I'll have time to find or buy what I need.

I should be getting off the ferry in two weeks now. :cool:

Verizon long ago killed the old Nationwide Plus Mexico plan I used to enjoy on trips, but I added their new $30 feature than does allow 250 minutes of calling while I am there. I can send 250 free texts sent with unlimited free receiving texts. Picture texts would go against the 250 Mb of included data. That'll come in handy, especially if an emergency arises. Rare, but good to prepare - just in case. I added Skype's Unlimited US & Canada calling plan so I can call home for free from my computer if I need to. Just need to be sure and cancel both on return.

I do get confused on when to use how many digits dialing from my cell? It looks like I can dial 7 digits or 10 digits locally, but use 01 then 10 digits calling to another town in Mexico, or use 001 plus 10 digits calling the US? I'll have to store Mexican numbers both ways under names I suppose. The Spanish recordings I get are no help at all to me.

I usually only use the phone as a alarm clock. I tried that on airplane mode while I was at Big Bend with no reception, but that didn't work.

On any cell phone, dialling the USA is best done as follows:

+ 1 then area code then number

+1 212 987-6543

Will call someone in Manhattan.

The plus is usually obtained by holding the Zero key or however your phone allows.

I have just been dialing the 1 plus the 10 digit number to call my wife in Colorado on my Verizon phone and it works. No + in front of the 1.

I'm pretty sure my antique flip phone has no way to add a + to a number.
I have just been dialing the 1 plus the 10 digit number to call my wife in Colorado on my Verizon phone and it works. No + in front of the 1.
You don't need to use 001? With billions of phones in the world, I'm sure many around the globe have the same 10 digits. I'm afraid I might call Iraq by mistake.

All cell phones support the plus. Even your old antique flip. (OK-not the earliest Radio Shack phones). Usually hold down the ZERO until the + appears. That was established by the ITU-T in about 1993. What kind of phone is it?

---------- Post added May 22nd, 2015 at 06:03 PM ----------

I'm pretty sure my antique flip phone has no way to add a + to a number.

You don't need to use 001? With billions of phones in the world, I'm sure many around the globe have the same 10 digits. I'm afraid I might call Iraq by mistake.

+ replaces the 00. The 1 represents the USA. The problem is that almost every country uses a different access code. So 00 in the US may be 01 in South Africa or something else anywhere else in the world. + removes the guesswork. Problem is finding that code when you're in another country. Good luck!

Just dial + then the country code then the area code then the number. Quite elegant and so simple.

All cell phones support the plus. Even your old antique flip. (OK-not the earliest Radio Shack phones). Usually hold down the ZERO until the + appears. That was established by the ITU-T in about 1993. What kind of phone is it?
I remember the good old days when I sold analog phones, trying to convince old Ultra Classic fans that the MicroTac would get as good of reception in the wilds of West Texas, but last longer and weigh less. It used to be a big deal here to get Caller ID numbers, on some other cell numbers, on some phones.

I carry a Motorola Barrage V860. Tough phone. I once fell onto one from 4 feet high, putting a huge bruise in my hip, but didn't bother the phone. One of the first to be waterproof to 3 feet. :crafty: I have considered carrying it with a wrist strap inside an old camera case to use on the surface to call for help, with GPS tracking - if I could remember the emergency number in Mexico and luck out to get an English speaking dispatcher. My ACR 2881 PLB is so much heavier, but floats and more dependable I think.

I see that they're still available new at various sites for $100+. I have several spares I got on Ebay, used but tested well, for about $25 each.

Anyway, holding the 0 key down for several seconds get gets me a 0.

+ replaces the 00. The 1 represents the USA. The problem is that almost every country uses a different access code. So 00 in the US may be 01 in South Africa or something else anywhere else in the world. + removes the guesswork. Problem is finding that code when you're in another country. Good luck!

Just dial + then the country code then the area code then the number. Quite elegant and so simple.
Ok, I see that Skype uses the + sign on all countries, including +1 instead of 001 for the US. I did not know that the international access code varied by countries. I'll need to explore that on my daughter's iphone before she takes her cruise to the Caymans and Jamaica. Verizon has their Global plan for other countries of course.

Try holding the * button on a Motorola Barrage. Should create the +.

Tell your daughter to use the +.

I have Google Fi on a Google Phone. Problem is now solved for international dialing.

Back
Top Bottom