Maui

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

we've been on Maui for a little over a week and have seen lots of turtles wherever we have been diving, by boat, shore, off of south Maui sites-ulua, Makena; west maui sites-Mala wharf, old airport beach; lanai sites; molokini. . . there are turtles, turtles and more turtles. It seems like everytime you turn a corner there is another turtle! They are everywhere! Maggi

bobmaggi:
we've been on Maui for a little over a week and have seen lots of turtles wherever we have been diving, by boat, shore, off of south Maui sites-ulua, Makena; west maui sites-Mala wharf, old airport beach; lanai sites; molokini. . . there are turtles, turtles and more turtles. It seems like everytime you turn a corner there is another turtle! They are everywhere! Maggi
Very true! The only place we don't find them all the time is Molokini (at least in my experience).

I believe there's a Hawksbill out there, but I haven't seen it or any other turtle out there.

We had a very close encounter with a Hawksbill at Reefs End on Molokini when we were there in December. He was gorgeous and got within 2 feet of us while grazing on the reef. Felt very privileged for that experience.

Where is Old Airport Beach? We are staying up north at Sands of Kahana. I assume that it is close to the north airport.

Rich Hagelin

It's directly across from the northern terminal of the Sugar Cane Train. It's the 1st light after you are north of the main resort section of Kaanapali. You'll see it on your way to Kahana.

Like many Maui dive sites, it has more than one name. It is also called Kahekili Beach.

It's the easiest dive in the area. Plenty of parking. Restrooms. Short walk from parking lot to entry point. Easy navigation --- go out a ways, figure out which way the current is going, and wander upcurrent parallel to the beach, checking things out on the shallow reef.

If you go diving with Kidspot, he can show you which mooring buoy to aim for to find the outer reef, but if you dive it by yourself you will still find lots of stuff on the reef right next to the beach.

Charlie Allen

just dove Airport this morning... 75' viz on the second reef, absolutely gorgeous!

No dolphins today... :( but the whales were LOUD, and the fishes were plentiful!

Does anyone feel like the whales are singing the Siren Song, beckoning you to swim towards the deep to find them?

-kb

JMD123:
I just got back from Maui. My 5th trip. B&B is the way to go. I did all of my diving with them.

The way the Owner/Instructor talks to brand new divers is very calming.
I have learned much from Brad over the years.

Back
Top Bottom