Maui

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

While there are none in Hawaiian waters, I guess there is a clown fish in the O'hana.

Where is Malauka? I guess I was thinking about the popular turtle area near red hill.

adjuster-jd:
Where is Malauka? I guess I was thinking about the popular turtle area near red hill.
Maluaka the big beach is right in front of the Maui Prince, just south of Makena Landing.

And for the record, Mauifish, you were off by 2.5 miles... you might as well have been talking about Pu'u Ola'i (Red Hill) and saying "Molokini". :p__________________

WOW, talk about anal! But you are correct, I never would of thought that these people "who have never dove in Maui" would just take off towars Ulua and go stright in the water without getting advice from a dive shop from which they will at least have to get their air tanks, besides, at Ulua, as of course you know "old wise one"
there are always plenty of divers at the staging area willing to give directions. By the Turtle town is considered that entire stretch of reef bginning about Ulua spanning down to about Makena, "it's where plenty of turtle's are" Never saw the offical Turtle Town sign. Mahalo for flaming me, hope it made your day, Aloha!! Please feel free to bash at me some more

Mauifish:
And for the record, Mauifish, you were off by 2.5 miles... you might as well have been talking about Pu'u Ola'i (Red Hill) and saying "Molokini". :p__________________

WOW, talk about anal! But you are correct, I never would of thought that these people "who have never dove in Maui" would just take off towars Ulua and go stright in the water without getting advice from a dive shop from which they will at least have to get their air tanks, besides, at Ulua, as of course you know "old wise one"
there are always plenty of divers at the staging area willing to give directions. By the Turtle town is considered that entire stretch of reef bginning about Ulua spanning down to about Makena, "it's where plenty of turtle's are" Never saw the offical Turtle Town sign. Mahalo for flaming me, hope it made your day, Aloha!! Please feel free to bash at me some more
That's not anal. That's being accurate. There is a lot of inaccurate information floating around about diving here, some from people that have been here, but not sought out good information, and other info from people who just hear from a friend-of-a-friend.

There was no flame there...

I know a lot of dive shops that don't dispense the free advice, hoping to upsell to a guided dive. Furthermore, I know of at least one shop that doesn't necessarily have divers working there -- so any information provided there is about as accurate as a story in the National Enquirer.

I also know of a lot of people that don't bother chatting with the dive shop guys, they just grab their tanks and Franko's Map and go find somewhere to dive... and usually miss out on the good sights, like the caverns at Makena Landing/Five Graves, or the turtle cleaning station at Ulua.

Also, depending on time of day, you may not find anybody in the staging area -- especially if nobody's told you that the best diving is before 11am... or the conditions are sub-standard. :D

I'm not sure who's telling you where Turtle Town is -- I have heard that "anywhere from Keawakapu to Ahihi" story before, but the general consensus seems to be what I posted earlier -- feel free to correct them. Anywhere else on the coast is usually called by its true name (e.g. Ulua, Wailea Point, the St. Anthony, etc.)

KrisB, I apolagise for trying to tell the good man about Ulua beach and the fact that there is turtle cleaning station in 40 feet of water without giving pin point directions as to where the cleaning station is. I am being very bad DM today. All advise on diving in Maui shall be directed to you from now on, have a good day my friend!! Das ist fertig! Finito

Mauifish:
KrisB, I apolagise for trying to tell the good man about Ulua beach and the fact that there is turtle cleaning station in 40 feet of water without giving pin point directions as to where the cleaning station is. I am being very bad DM today. All advise on diving in Maui shall be directed to you from now on, have a good day my friend!! Das ist fertig! Finito
You missed the point.

Just be accurate, or expect someone to correct you. Don't take it personally... unless you are intentionally giving vague or false info.

Hey Mauifish...I think if I went to a good dive op on Maui and told them that I heard good stuff about " Ulua beach just south of Kehei near Makena, where there is a place called turtle town in @ 40 feet" and that I'd like to see it....They would know what I'm talking about and know where it is :wink:

Mauifish:
Turtle town is considered that entire stretch of reef bginning about Ulua spanning down to about Makena, "it's where plenty of turtle's are" Never saw the offical Turtle Town sign.

Turtle Town is not considered the entire stretch from Ulua to Makena. Maybe the reason you never saw the sign is because you never looked. The Maui Dive Guide (free) is the only reason I send visitors to Maui Dive Shop, with Turtle Town properly described. Most shop's, boats, activities people and local divers use the same names as those found on Franco's Map of Maui.

http://www.frankosmaps.com/Maui_Guide_Map.htm

There are many places on Maui to get either the folding version or the place-mat version, or you can go to the link above to order on-line. If you go to the Franco's Maui Map page, scroll down about 2/3rds to the Turtle Town description; directly offshore of the graves (5-graves), same as in the Maui Dive Guide.

There are turtle cleaning stations at nearly every rocky point from La Perouse to Honolua (entire leeward coast). Ulua Reef has a popular turtle cleaning station, but it is not Turtle Town and pointing out that gross mis-statement is not anal.

*** MODERATOR POST ***

Let's keep this civil, OK? Thank you.

*** MODERATOR POST ***

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom