Maui Shore Dive

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I would really enjoy watching a BP/W diver surface swim on their back over the reef in question to enter this shore dive site, except for the fact that significant damage would be done to the reef.

I am of the opinion that even if your draft is shallower on your back than mine on my belly (not convinced), on this entry you need to be in snorkeling position to find the deepest path.

I have not used my bootie fins in nearly 18 months, my best dive buddy only has full foot fins and my paying ducklings are mostly in rental full foot fins. There is no testosterone involved; most of the people I've done this shore dive with are of the other gender.

Last edited:
So, when you and your ducklings (I'm sure your paying customers appreciate this tag) do this dive, you take them out on the south side of the pier, through the rocks and coral heads? The same ones that you say others are damaging? So you must make sure they have the proper BCD's as well as not being fat? Must be one helluva pre-dive brief too. You contridict yourself with each post. Don't dive there, only dive there from a boat....oh wait, you take paying customers....er...ducklings, through the coral head....sheesh. Make up your mind. I certainly hope if nothing else comes from this thread, your potential ducklings read this and find another guide.

Halemano, my post about testosterone was a JOKE. BTW, females also have testosterone.

I have not met an instructor yet that has not uttered the fond nickname of "ducklings" when speaking of students, and every person I have taken on this shore dive have been my students, with respect to entering this dive site. Not only that, but when watching from shore or wharf it looks like duck and ducklings as we single file through the various low spots (that would be me, the duck!).

I believe I have been consistent in this thread; I do not feel there is contradiction. I have been saying the same thing from different directions and different levels. If your not able to do the dive ethically you should learn how to do the dive ethically.

Even if there was a "reef Jesus" who could "only step on sand" how many of the people following that example "step only on sand." Some things are done properly because setting a proper example is what's ethical.

ScubaBoard ToS:
ScubaBoard Moderators may, at their discretion, remove any post which advocates unsafe diving practices, as defined by the major certification agencies of the scuba diving world.

Reporting posts that advocate surface swimming across an active boat channel would seem to be the ethical thing to do, but I believe sometimes people learn things better if we just leave it all in the record.

I'd prefer to let the community work it out as to whether surface swimming across the active boat channel &/or walking out beyond the shallow fringe reef is ethical. My opinion is that the shallow reef can be face down surface swam and the damage to the reef is considerably less, plus we mostly go the same route every time so localization of damage as well as lessening overall.

Mala Wharf/Ramp, Lahaina, Maui - Google Maps

Last edited:

A ScubaBoard Staff Message...

Actually my favorite line from the TOS if the very first one-

Terms of Service (ToS)
This is a friendly forum based on mutual respect.

It's also unfortunately the hardest to enforce. :D

Please remember that everyone is going to have their own opinion and you do not have to "win" every thread you participate in by making everyone else change their opinion to match yours. People learn a lot more from an intelligent and rationally stated post left to stand on it's own merit rather than a pages long pissing contest over minor points.

And occasionally there are posts that advocate an unsafe or illegal practice (Not saying any are here- just addressing the point), we have to judge each one and weigh the benefit of leaving it, along with the inevitable counterpoints, on the board so that folks can learn from the discussion versus the chance that someone will read only that post in the thread and decide that the practice is OK. That ends up being a judgment call on the part of the staff on a case by case basis.

If you find yourself annoyed by a post please do everyone a favor and walk away from the keyboard for a while- posts made while angry rarely communicate effectively.

We all seem to agree surface swimming across this boat channel is illegal; would the major certification agencies classify surface swimming across an active boat channel as an unsafe diving practice?
TC:

A ScubaBoard Staff Message...

occasionally there are posts that advocate an unsafe or illegal practice (Not saying any are here- just addressing the point), we have to judge each one and weigh the benefit of leaving it, along with the inevitable counterpoints, on the board so that folks can learn from the discussion versus the chance that someone will read only that post in the thread and decide that the practice is OK. That ends up being a judgment call on the part of the staff on a case by case basis.
Here is part of a PM exchange prior to my previous post.
halemano:
The TOS also claims "ScubaBoard Moderators may, at their discretion, remove any post which advocates unsafe diving practices, as defined by the major certification agencies of the scuba diving world."

There are multiple posts in this thread advocating surface swimming across an active boat channel in violation of State Law! How many major certification agencies would define that as unsafe diving practice?
NetDoc:
Please report the posts in question! That is indeed an unsafe practice! I would like my mods to review them.

The best dives near your hotel will be Black Rock and Marriott Reef. If you're doing a night dive, Black Rock is a must. You can enter from the north side by the golf course and keep the wall on your left side. This makes for an easy exit since the beach is protected from the surf. If the waves are too strong at the golf course then just enter and exit from the south side of the hotel. The sea life is always easy to spot. I've seen conger eels, dwarf scorpionfish, puffers, sleeping parrotfish, squid, and turtles.

Marriott Reef is also a pretty easy entry and exit. I used the dive guide from the Marriott and was surprised by the amount of sea life. Over the years I've seen leaf scorpionfish, spotted eagle rays, eels, octopus, and of course lots of turtles.

Mala Wharf is intriguing but the legal entry/exit just sucks. To me it's not worth the effort to try and walk over 50+ yards of coral in 18 inches of water. If you're set on doing this dive I'd risk a $50 fine and use the boat channel.

I have not dove it but I've heard that Kahekili Beach (Old Airport) is also a good dive. Take it for what it's worth.

If you want to dive south there are several good dives in the area. I've had good dives at Ulua Beach and Five Caves. You have a bit of a surface swim but there was quite a bit to see.

I am sure glad that this tread hasn't died..... Just want to thank those that provided great information concerning dive spots that we can dive from the shore.

I think we will stay on the north part of the island from black rock to Honolua Bay. We may venture south of Mala, just for a change in scenery. :)

Now. Can anyone suggest a dive shop that we can rent our tank and also get a refill daily. We have our own gear.

I'd pick up tanks at Pacific Dive - they usually have the best prices on air and you just drop tanks off and pick up more pre-filled ones (really quick and painless :wink: ) Maui Dive Shop can be convenient, but frequently their smaller shops will be out of cylinders, but as some of them are open till 9pm they can be a good backup.

Another shore dive I love is "the pipe" you enter at Mala, then head south - 5 hawksbill turtles reside there, making it one of the most common spots in the state to see them. The reef is also quite nice - it extends all the way to Lahaina harbor (and then begins again afterward) -

Aloha Shore Divers is a list of my favorite sites between Lahaina and Honolua. (For something different try "Shark Pit" and "The Pipe")

Aloha, Tim

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom