Maui Shore Dive

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

There are dive sites where BP/W, even back inflate BC's, probably are not the proper buoyancy control device.

Can you explain this? I am assuming that you are saying there are dive sites one shouldn't dive in anything but a jacket BC? What's your basis for that statement?

No kidding, a dive where a BP/W wont work? Hmmm.... :blinking:

I still find it interesting that for all of the dribble being spewed forth, a better (legal?) entry at this site has not been mentioned. Everything that I found online, as well as a couple of locals that we talked to, before inquiring at the shop, was to enter on the left of the pier. (where coral heads can be damaged)

This is supposed to be a "do not miss dive" while in Maui, unless apparently, you are fat or wearing the improper style of BCD....WOW....hard to argue with that.

We spent two days diving this site and with the expecption of our first trip out from the left of the pier....EVERY other diver that was there at the same time as us (Better clarify that) did the surface swim out from the small rocky beach to the North of the boat ramp. I'm guessing that either they had been misinformed as well, or were willing to take the chance of a 50.00 ticket and the possibility of an encounter with a boat to not damage marine life on the "legal" side of the pier.

Obviously there are issues with a safe, legal entry at this site and maybe a letter to the powers-that-be as Doug recommended is in order to clarify these issues for any future divers who want to dive this wonderful spot.....and maybe even post their experience without fear of being belittled.

I still find it interesting that for all of the dribble being spewed forth, a better (legal?) entry at this site has not been mentioned.

Again; reading comprehension. :confused:

Most Mala divers dive Mala from boats; no walking on the living reef and no laws broken.

Can you explain this? I am assuming that you are saying there are dive sites one shouldn't dive in anything but a jacket BC? What's your basis for that statement?

What is your draft in your fully inflated BP/W compared to the draft of a diver in a fully inflated vest BC?

If you are unable to enter without walking on living reef or violating basic Marine and State laws you should not be entering.

I don't walk on living reef, dammit. I pick my way very carefully and painstakingly and slowly through the coral heads, walking on sand. It takes a long time to do it properly, and it's a PITA.

And I'm QUITE sure that, using my 32 lb DSS horseshoe wing, I float as high in the water as anybody else does in any BC whatsoever. After all, I'm carrying at least 15 pounds of excess lift . . .

I'm quite confused by your approach. On the one hand, you imply that hiring a guide like you will get somebody into the water at that site without breaking any rules and without damaging anything; on the other hand, you imply by your highlighting that the only reasonable way to dive the site is from a boat. Which is it?

I am contending that the draft of a vest BC diver is less than the draft of a diver with inflation on the back.

In all your previous statements of entering Mala on ScubaBoard have you ever explained that you laboriously only step on sand? I believe your previous statements have resulted in numerous SB members and lurkers walking on living reef. I find it hard to believe one can walk out past the reef only stepping on sand.

Again, for at least the third time in this thread, I am being attacked for saying or not saying things that I either did not say or did say!

Reading comprehension? :confused:

you imply that hiring a guide like you will get somebody into the water at that site without breaking any rules and without damaging anything

Do a guided first dive at challenging sites, with a competent and ethical guide, so you can learn how to do the dives with the least damage, least effort and least laws broken!

Last edited:
I swim on my back across shallow reef all the time and probably "draft" LESS than you do in a jacket BC. The wing is all the way under and I am horizontal. A jacket wearing face down snorkel type diver is more than likely overwieghted, feet down at 45 degrees and kicking up and down as opposed to frog kicking sideways.

I watched a father / son team enter on the legal side last June and they did their best to avoid reef damage. Then again, I thought they were nuts for trying to walk it barefoot with their foot fins in hand. (It was their first and I believe last time at Mala.)

Those of us who have enteered on the left before have to admire the amount of testosterone it takes to do that barefoot!

P.S. I always enter on the left, but exited on the right once because of high surf (and a wife who didn't want to do that walk again.)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom