Maui Shore Dive with Shaka Doug RECOMMEND AWESOME!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Buttons

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
My husband and I were on our honeymoon in Maui in September 2010 and had a wonderful time. All we did was DIVE!! I highly recommend getting in touch with Shaka Doug if you are looking for shore diving. The first dive we did on Maui was with Shaka Doug. He brought us to "5 caves 5 graves". We saw nearly everything our first day out in the water except frogfish and rays. He has all the equipment you need (we brought our own equipment). He gives you a thorough briefing on the dive site and how to do all the different Shaka hand gestures.

Just Google Shaka Doug and his website should be the first listed.

MAHALO Shaka Doug!!

One week from today I'll be landing in Maui. I've heard some other good things about Shaka Doug, I'm glad you had a good time. For the shore dives you did with him, did you have to be a pretty advanced diver? I see you have done 50-100 dives, but I'm a newbie, would you still recommend this kind of shore dive for me? Thanks very much.

Theresa

Doug's shore dives are great for first timers. I visited this past summer and had a chance to listen in on his briefings for newbies. Very relaxed, very thorough and completely mellow..... To dive with Doug is to enjoy Maui at the speed it should be experienced.

G

It is just about a year to the day that I was in Maui and did about eight dives with Doug, you will have a great time with him whether your experienced or not. Unfortunately I will not be there this year,but I will Be in Kauai doing some diving there. Any questions let me know.

Yes Theresa, I would highly recommend Shaka Doug even for beginners. As scottitheduck said, Doug's dives are great for beginners. Just give Doug a call when you arrive on the Island. He usually meets up with divers around 9am. First day we arrived on Maui I gave Shaka Doug a call to see if he had anything available during the week and he said he was going out in 20 min and to come along. His schedule is pretty flexible.

FYI: Doug provides you with water and some snack food, but I highly recommend bringing more of your own water and food. Why? Because when you dive with Doug, you may be diving for over an hour in the shallow warm waters. Our first dive with Doug was over 1 1/2 hours. My husband and I had never dove that long before on a single dive and so didn't realize how hungry and thirsty we would be afterward. We all most drank all of Doug's water after the first Dive!

Hope you have lots of fun on Maui!

bc1954,

Who would you recommend for dives on Kauai? My husband and I love see wrecks, but I don't like to go more than 90 ft (unless there is something worth seeing).

Actually Shaka Doug had mentioned Bubbles Below so that is who Ive hooked up with. Apparently there is also Fathom Five and Seasports for boat dives and Aquatic Adventures for shore diving. Im off on Friday looking forward to some great diving.

I think I did Seasport in Kaui in 2007 (these were discovery dives), I wasn't certified then. Both boat and shore diving. Enjoyed them both.

I pretty much doubt you'd be going down to 90' in Kaui with Seasport or Fathom Five. Pretty sure on the dives I was on, the bottom even for the certified divers was maybe in the 60's, if that. You should probably double-check with someone more knowledgeable, but I didn't think there's a lot of deep diving in Kaui in the Poiupu area (my guess as to where you're diving).

Another Double Shaka thumbs up for Shaka Doug.... we really enjoyed diving with him.:D

Shaka Doug's the dude. Just don't ask for the full list of Shaka's that he can do. :D

Back
Top Bottom