Maui Shore Diving private guide

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Yellow Fin

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Looking for a local private dive guide that is not affiliated with a dive shop. We have (5) divers who are very experienced and want to do shore diving in Maui but not be part of a large group. Any recommendations are appreciated.

The dates for the trip are early January 2024.

My wife and I used Ty, owner of In 2 Scuba for a two tank private shore dive several years ago. We were totally happy with Ty, as owner/our dive guide, and will certainly use him the next time we are in Maui. We had all of our own gear, so we met him at Black Rock for our dives, with him supplying tanks and weights. I did not see, or get the impression that he operated from a dive shop at the time, and have no knowledge of his current home base set up. He specializes in small groups, and we could not have found a better match for our shore dive objectives.

I'd talk to Rodney at the FB group Maui Mantas. There are a number of dive pros on there as well, but you may get a local to take you out.

My wife and I used Ty, owner of In 2 Scuba for a two tank private shore dive several years ago. We were totally happy with Ty, as owner/our dive guide, and will certainly use him the next time we are in Maui. We had all of our own gear, so we met him at Black Rock for our dives, with him supplying tanks and weights. I did not see, or get the impression that he operated from a dive shop at the time, and have no knowledge of his current home base set up. He specializes in small groups, and we could not have found a better match for our shore dive objectives.
Thanks - appreciate the information. I will try to track him down.

I'd talk to Rodney at the FB group Maui Mantas. There are a number of dive pros on there as well, but you may get a local to take you out.
Thanks - just joined the Maui Mantas FB group. I will send a note to the group and try to track down Rodney. We have dove all the usual shore dive spots on Maui (all excellent)... just wondering if there is something a little more that only the local know.

Chris Doerr and his wife Annika are great guides. They also have good gear. Chris is on 808-264-1830.
I've been diving with them several times, highly recommended.
Scuba Barry is another idea. info@scubabarry.com. He has a website. This may be one of the only places to rent tanks on the West Side, most dive shops were destroyed in the fire.
Best West side sites in the winter will be Olowalu, and Wahikuli. Olowalu is probably one of the best sites on the entire island. It has no northern exposure, so it's a good winter dive. Very few people dive it unless conditions are **** everywhere else. It's a navigation dive, so a lot of people don't feel capable. It's about the most beautiful reef on the island. There are several entries for Wahikuli, this is a great place to see turtles, and most people don't dive there either.
Coral Garden by the Pali is also quite good.
Mala Pier is the classic W. Maui site, but it's probably gonna be problematic since that's the only West Side boat harbor now.
Maui Dreams goes out from Maaalea Harbor, they are under new management now, but I think they could be a good option, if you want to work w a dive shop/small boat.
If you go to Lanai and can put group together, you should try to contact Kristine Belew, she runs a charter catamaran for the hotel it's kind of expensive but if you get a group together maybe affordable. You will get a private tour of the Cathedrals, which is really unique and quite beautiful.
If you want to contact me with questions feel free. I'm often out there in the winter and might be up for leading an Olowalu dive.

Back
Top Bottom