Maui residents - loan me 2 tanks and weights for a week and I'll give you $30!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Careful about the Maui Dive Guide, though -- they've taken a number of sites off of it, like Ahihi and Le Perouse. My theory is that because *they* can't take you diving there (because of that being a marine reserve and no commercial operators are allowed), they don't want you to think it's worth diving.

I'd suggest getting it, but taking it with a grain of salt -- if you go to Maui Dreams and "talk story" with them, I'm sure you'll find out where is great to go diving that day!

KrisB:
Careful about the Maui Dive Guide, though -- they've taken a number of sites off of it, like Ahihi and Le Perouse. My theory is that because *they* can't take you diving there (because of that being a marine reserve and no commercial operators are allowed), they don't want you to think it's worth diving.

I'd suggest getting it, but taking it with a grain of salt -- if you go to Maui Dreams and "talk story" with them, I'm sure you'll find out where is great to go diving that day!

Very good point. We also bought a book of local sites, but hands down the best advice on where to dive (and when) comes from the "experienced" locals (as opposed to those who just started diving, got a job in the dive shop and don't know the sites) Bad advice could be more dangerous than no advice. It's always important to be cautious/informed about the conditions of the day at individual sites.

I am reading your responses and taking copious notes. Thanks a lot, I think that we'll be able to find a great deal for those tanks.

I admit the amount of weight was on the conservative side, even for California waters. It is almost what we usually have (together) with full 7mm suits plus hooded vests. The real mystery is my girlfriend..that girl weighs 115lb, and with the exposure suit described above, still needs about 16lb, otherwise I have to literally push her down from the surface for her to sink.. maybe her body is full of air (that sounds bad, don't tell her I said that:wink: ). Anyways, truth is we'll definitely need much less than that in the 3 or 5 mm we'll be sporting in hawaii.

I thought about bringing our weight as carry-on luggage.. but we'd be hating life too much in the airports.

Dive Safe!

Michael

I weigh 120, and I'm so buoyant that I did the "tread" in my OW class by just sitting in the water looking at the instructor. When I dive in Maui, I use a 3 mil wetsuit. I dive my 5 lb backplate, 2 lbs of camband weights, and my can light, and I am perfectly weighted.

TSandM:
I weigh 120, and I'm so buoyant that I did the "tread" in my OW class by just sitting in the water looking at the instructor. When I dive in Maui, I use a 3 mil wetsuit. I dive my 5 lb backplate, 2 lbs of camband weights, and my can light, and I am perfectly weighted.
No to hijack... but if your wing becomes useless (e.g. puncture), what do you do to gain positive buoyancy?

I can swim up my rig with a full tank with the stated configuration. On the surface, I can ditch the can light, have my buddy pull my camband weights, or use my buddy for positive buoyancy if I have to.

It's a good question.

Back
Top Bottom