Maui Monthly - October 7th

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I have received a quick rundown -- certainly I can get a bit more if that would make people more comfortable. I was basically told by Teri to just "go out and explore!" :D

KrisB:
I have received a quick rundown -- certainly I can get a bit more if that would make people more comfortable. I was basically told by Teri to just "go out and explore!" :D
This guy dives with MD and has some Maliko Bay info on his site:
http://www.hawaiidiveadventures.com/

Why Not?
M

Sounds like we will be doing Maliko Gulch then! A "new" site :D

I know Maliko gulch is just past Paia, so where shall we meet? Wanna give driving directions, Kris or Mark?

Aloha, Tim

P.S. I've been wanting to do some diving on the north side, so this is good for me.

I should check with the folks at MDDC about this -- they may have some tips on this front.

AFAIK, it's between Paia and "Jaws"... let's watch the Storm Surf weather report, too... if we are going to be getting a north swell, there's probably no point in even going out there.

Directions can be found on page 62 of "The Divers' Guide to Maui" 6.8 Miles after the Haleakala Hwy intersection (on Hana Hwy) you will be in "Maliko gulch." immediately after the bridge turn right on the dirt road, it will loop around and under the bridge and lead to the water.

Max depth 70ft. and looks like lots to see there.

Please keep an eye on this thread if you plan to attend as the weather may change our plans (not for the first time either :wink: )

Let's plan on meeting there at 9am - gives enough time to pick up air etc -

I had forgotten about all those great sites listed in the Maui dive guide - we may have to try some of the others from there as well :D

Aloha, Tim

OK so this is the little bay where all the Tiger Sharks hang around the fishermen as they clean their fishies right?

Sounds great :)

Al Mialkovsky:
OK so this is the little bay where all the Tiger Sharks hang around the fishermen as they clean their fishies right?

Sounds great :)

Uh... please tell me you are kidding.

Al is thinking of Kahului Bay...

Maliko has been used as a open water training site when the south side is washed out... and I know the instructors at MDDC well enough to say they wouldn't do that if there was any risk to their students.

Those coming from Kihei: we can carpool, if you want... lemme know.

The DGTM says to expect "Uhu, Palani, A'awa, Nohu, Weke, Moana, various surgeon fish, Spiny lobster and turtles.

Aloha, Tim

It's not enough to have to dodge great whites at home. Now I gotta dodge tigers while on vacation. :)

Maybe if I'm lucky, I'll just have to dodge crocodiles when I take up cave diving.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom