Maui Monthly - October 7th

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Adobo:
No worries. My trip is booked and payed for. I'm coming regardless. If conditions stink and you guys thumb the dives, I'll go to the pool in my hotel to work on my back kick. :)

Out of curiousity, how much time do they give you to do the different tests?
Hehehe...

Well, Adobo, don't feel you can't thumb the dive, too! :)

The swim tests are done on a 5-point scale. I don't remember the whole scale, but I think the 800-yard snorkel had to be done in 12 minutes for 5 pts, the 400-yard swim in 6 minutes, and the 100-yard tow in 2 or 3 minutes. From there, every minute or two reduces you by a point.

You have to total 12 between the four items in order to pass the stamina portion.

update on location:

Low tide October 7th is 11:13 am ... which might make Mala a poor choice (Howard4113 pointed this out to me ... my mistake for not checking earlier)

Any preference for another site? Makena, Honolua (surf permitting) others?

Aloha, Tim

kidspot:
update on location:

Low tide October 7th is 11:13 am ... which might make Mala a poor choice (Howard4113 pointed this out to me ... my mistake for not checking earlier)

Any preference for another site? Makena, Honolua (surf permitting) others?

Aloha, Tim

Since I will be visiting and would not know better, I will leave it to the locals to decide.

I have been looking over some of the beach dives around Lahaina. A few of the sites say that they are for intermediate level divers even though entries are reasonably easy. What makes these dives "intermediate"? So far, they all look like they bottom out at 30 feet or so. I presume vis is general better than what most Americans finds at home.

What gives? (Back home, depth, rapid current and strong surge make for intermediate to advanced dives.)

Adobo:
Since I will be visiting and would not know better, I will leave it to the locals to decide.

I have been looking over some of the beach dives around Lahaina. A few of the sites say that they are for intermediate level divers even though entries are reasonably easy. What makes these dives "intermediate"? So far, they all look like they bottom out at 30 feet or so. I presume vis is general better than what most Americans finds at home.

What gives? (Back home, depth, rapid current and strong surge make for intermediate to advanced dives.)
Adobo: you must consider that "beginner" around here often refers to not-even-open-water certified divers. A lot of things can potentially increase the difficulty: a long surface swim, typically high surf, rocky entry, a strong rip or cross current.

Yesterday was the most amazing dive at Makena... couple white-tips, eagle ray that really wanted to be my dive buddy, a gazillion turtles. And the surge was even pretty minimal!

I guess it depends where everybody is coming from -- I'm in South Maui. Where are you staying, Adobo?

What about another option: Maliko Gulch. It's neither West nor South shore... and hopefully it is diveable for another week or two! Maybe set a backup of something on the South side?

Hey Kris,

I am staying at a resort in Lahaina. I wanted to stay somewhere close by so diving with Tim would be convenient. (He was kind enough to offer to show me some of the local dive sites so I didn't want to have to drive across the island to get a dive in.)

All of my diving has been in Monterey and 90% of it has been shore diving. I suspect I should be okay with most of these sites provided that we do a site briefing prior to getting. I don't normally have to fight big waves getting in the water though so I'll probably be asking the locals for tips on proper technique.

KrisB:
What about another option: Maliko Gulch. It's neither West nor South shore... and hopefully it is diveable for another week or two! Maybe set a backup of something on the South side?

So long as someone is familiar with the site and it's not an "advanced" dive -that's a good idea. I am not familiar with the site, and cannot comment on it ... are you comfortable leading the dive there?

Adobo - I would imagine you've got bigger surf at home than you'll face here - Once the waves reach 3 ft. I don't try a surf entry ... too rough for my comfort level carrying all that gear. Now without gear it's another story :wink:

Aloha, Tim

Well, what I've been told is that it is not a difficult site, and has been used by the MDDC folks as a backup to Ulua when there's a South Swell in the summer.

I haven't actually dove there yet, and we're running out of days -- apparently it's usually undivable in the winter months.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom