Maui Monthly - October 7th

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

kidspot

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
It's coming soon ... the next Maui dive day!

If you live here, are visiting, or would like to visit ... join us Saturday October 7th at 9am for some fun diving with the local SB crowd (everyone is welcome)

I'm going to recommend we try Mala Warf this time (conditions permitting) and do a little poking around in the rubble ... maybe see the resident white tip too.

Aloha, Tim

I'll be there!!!

Hey Kris - I'm "hoping" for a LOT better conditions lol ... we just hit it on a really bad day :wink:

However ... I'm always open to the groups suggestions, I just like to start the ball rolling so to speak.

Adobo - looking forward to seeing you soon!

Sure, sure... you know, I don't think I've ever been diving in West Maui on a good day... :D

I'm kidding... I'm sure it will be good, as long as the weather doesn't go crazy like earlier this week. Funny how quickly things change -- yesterday afternoon, Ulua was pretty crummy... 6'+ surf (and I did my DM stamina tests in it...) today, we had probably 40'+ viz!

But, as they say, any day diving is a great day!

we gotta change that Kris - you need some "good" dive days while here.

Btw - how'd your stamina test go?

I'm sure there'll be plenty! I'm out tomorrow for a guided dive in the morning, and a night adventure dive tomorrow night. And scooter dive on Monday, woo hoo! Who knows what else at this point! :)

The stamina test went ok... I think I got a 1 on the swim, a 2 on the snorkel swim, but a 5 each on the tow and float/tread. So... I passed the 12-point mark, and I know I would have done better in a pool, or even pool-like conditions. I swam a few circles on the snorkel part, when the sand lines got silly and non-parallel with the shore. :(

The skills went a bit better today -- 73 of a 68 required points.

You always gotta wonder when people are making references to 6+ ft waves and stamina tests when discussing a potential dive site. :)

Adobo:
You always gotta wonder when people are making references to 6+ ft waves and stamina tests when discussing a potential dive site. :)
Adobo: sorry 'bout that. Didn't mean to scare you off.

My "stamina test" is a part of the Divemaster certification that I'm working on. You are timed & graded in the following:
1. 800-yard snorkel swim (face cannot leave water)
2. 400-yard swim, no aids (e.g. bare feet)
3. 100-yard tired-diver tow

and you have to float/tread water for 15 minutes, with the last two having your hands out of the water.

The 6' waves were due to a nasty high-surf advisory that was in effect for all south-facing shores earlier this week... not normal Maui conditions. :D

KrisB:
Adobo: sorry 'bout that. Didn't mean to scare you off.

My "stamina test" is a part of the Divemaster certification that I'm working on. You are timed & graded in the following:
1. 800-yard snorkel swim (face cannot leave water)
2. 400-yard swim, no aids (e.g. bare feet)
3. 100-yard tired-diver tow

and you have to float/tread water for 15 minutes, with the last two having your hands out of the water.

The 6' waves were due to a nasty high-surf advisory that was in effect for all south-facing shores earlier this week... not normal Maui conditions. :D

No worries. My trip is booked and payed for. I'm coming regardless. If conditions stink and you guys thumb the dives, I'll go to the pool in my hotel to work on my back kick. :)

Out of curiousity, how much time do they give you to do the different tests?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom