Maui/Lanai Trip Report

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

bjp63

Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
Maui/Lanai Trip Report
===============================
Dive Company: Extended Horizons

Monday, October 12, 2009
- Water temperature 81' F
- Visibility ~50 ft
- Refresher dive (my first dive in 7.5 yrs)
- Shore dive from Airport Beach (max depth 32 ft) included thick undulated moray, yellow margin moray, juvenile frog fish, croc needlefish, dragon wrasse, triggerfish, bird nose wrasse (female), blue spotted cornetfish, lots of toby's

Tuesday, October 13, 2009
- Water temperature 81' F
- Visibility 60-70 ft
- First dive from shore at Mala Wharf (max depth 31 ft) included white tip shark resting on bottom, fusia nudibranch, spotted coral blenny, several sea turtles, procupine puffer, oval butterflyfish, white mouth moray, sponge crab, pacific trumpetfish
- Second dive from shore at Mala Wharf (max depth 31 ft) included large school of blue spotted cornetfish on entry, giant porcupine puffer (~3 ft), peacock founder, frog fish, lizard fish

Wednesday, October 14, 2009
- Water temperature 81/79/81' F
- Visibility 80-100 ft
- First dive from boat at Secret Cove (max depth 53 ft) included Hawaiian spinner dolphins on surface, Hawaiian day octopus, white mouth moray, vericosa nudibranch, and juvenile yellowtail wrasse
- Second dive from boat at First Cathedral (max depth 56 ft) included 3 white tip sharks inside cavern, rare endemic bandit angelfish, raccoon butterfly, yellow trumpetfish, and endemic spectacled parrotfish
- Third dive (night) from shore at Black Rock (max depth 31 ft) included translucent needlefish, very large sleeping sea turtles, crabs, multipe morays, lobster

Notes
=====
- I had planned to do a boat trip to Lanai on Tuesday, but since the dive company wasn't able to get enough divers to justify taking out the boat, I ended up doing shore dives with the same dive guide I dove with the previous day.
- A bit sad to see that 2 of the 3 sharks in First Cathedral had hooks in their mouth

Attachments

• 20091014-10.jpg
    20091014-10.jpg
    210.1 KB · Views: 74
  • 20091014-14.jpg
    20091014-14.jpg
    43.3 KB · Views: 101
Nice report! Glad you had a good time. Sadly, most of the white tip reef sharks we see these days around the shoreline have the dreaded 'hook in mouth' disease. If they don't have a hook, look closely, you can usually see scarring from a previous hook. I wonder, "What can we do about this?"

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom