Maui Instructor For 12 & 14 Yr Olds

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Thanks everyone for all the suggestions. I understand everyone's concern about parents getting in the way during check-outs. Obviously, that wouldn't be my intent (but I realize how those things sometimes happen). I'm not too concerned about getting in the way because the boys are pretty familiar with the gear and have already logged several hours bottom time between PADI Seal team and various fresh and salt water Discover Scubas.

In any case, I really appreciate all the information. I have begun emailing those that were suggested to see what we can work out.

Thanks again,
Steve

Hi Steve,

We just got back after a week in Maui. My son and I are newly certified divers and used Shaka Doug for our very first dives since our open water classes. We did 4 shore dives in 3 days. Diving with Doug was fantastic. He was very thorough getting our gear set up, going over the dives before we dove and making us feel confident in diving. During the dives, we saw turtles, a black tip shark, moray eels, frogfish, octopus and many other fish. I'll be posting a trip report soon with pictures. Good luck in Maui!!

Thanks for the info! I actually have already signed up with Shaka Doug to do the boys' checkout dives. Great to hear that you and your son had such a good experience and I look forward to your trip report.

Steve

Steve,

I assume you've completed your trip. I'm in a similar situation with my son this summer and would appreciate a trip report or recap if you don't mind.

Rob.

My husband and I went diving with Shaka Doug last month, and at the time we had only 8 dives under our belts. Doug made us feel very comfortable and gave us great tips for better diving. We know every time we return to Maui we'll be diving with Doug.

We had an absolutely terrific time with Shaka Divers. Both boys finished their certification dives without any problems. We dove with Doug on two separate days. Due to the fact that we were there with extended family, we had a rather difficult schedule, but Doug was very accomodating.

First day, we met at McDonald's in Kihei (an easy "landmark" to find and of course, you can't miss Doug's bus!). We followed him down to Makena Landing, but the water was too murky, so we went to Ulua Beach. Visibility was not what I expected (since most of my saltwater diving has been in the caribbean), but tons better than most freshwater. We went to a depth of 39 ft for about 37 minutes. Had an hour fifteen minute surface interval, then went in for second dive. This time it was a 43 minute dive to 42 feet. That first day, it was Doug, another diver, my sons and me.

Second day (actually 3 days later, though) we dove the first dive at Makena Landing. This dive (the boys 3rd cert dive) was a 50 minute dive with a max depth of 30 feet. After a 2 hour surface interval, did the boys final cert dive at Ulua Beach (47 mins, 35 ft max depth). For this day of diving, it was Doug, Happy2BMe and her husband (Dale), my sons and me.

In addition to being very accomodating regarding dates/times of dives, Doug was very easy to get along with and did a great job briefing each dive and what skills were going to be covered. During the dives, he was always able to find and point out interesting wildlife (we saw a ton of different critters - fish, octopus, turtles, crabs, eels, etc.) Though Doug carried a camera, it certainly was not a distraction to him or us in any way. In fact, when we received the CD of our dives, I was amazed at how many pictures and how much video he had taken of our dives because I rarely saw him using his camera.

I went on all four of the boys dives. I don't THINK I was too much of a distraction to Doug or to my sons. I tried to stay out of the way for the most part, but did the skills when the boys did. One of my sons was a little anxious about mask-clearing in saltwater because he thought it would sting his eyes. So when I did the mask removal drill, I opened my eyes as wide as I could get them, to try to show my son that it wasn't anything to worry about. Actually looks pretty comical on the video that Doug gave us...

Overall it was a great experience and I would recommend Shaka Divers to anybody doing certification dives or anybody new to Maui interested in doing some shore diving. The dives were nice easy dives, small number of divers, Doug didn't cut corners on the skills and he made all the dives fun and interesting!

Steve

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom