Maui Instructor For 12 & 14 Yr Olds

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

nescubasteve

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I am bringing my family to Maui in March. We are staying in the Kahana area. Both of my sons have been thru the PADI Seal Team program and have done Discover Scuba dives in Cozumel and Barbados. I am certified thru Rescue. For Christmas, I am getting my 12 and 14 year old sons their PADI certification materials and poolwork with a local instructor. I would like to have them complete their certification dives in Maui while we are there.

Anyone have any suggestions for an instructor or shop that could do the cert dives for my 12 and 14 year old sons? I am a little anxious about doing a cattle boat type operation with them for a variety of reasons (depth, number of students, etc). I would prefer a small group or perhaps even private instructor with just my two sons.

Also, I would prefer a situation where I could dive with them while they do their checkout dives.

Any information or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Steve

I suppose any shop up there can do their checkouts. I have no one to reccomend at that end of the island, sorry. As an instructor personally I don't allow parents to tag along when kids are doing checkouts, unless they're in the class with them. Non professionals can muck things up for us sadly :)

Hi Steve,

Aloha...the kind of thing you're looking for is exactly the kind of diving I can offer you. I'll be able to make sure you guys have fun while you're doing it too. Please PM me or send me an e-mail at doug@shakadivers.com and I will be happy to discuss your options.

Aloha and Merry Christmas! (I wish My Dad got me SCUBA lessons for Christmas when I was young!!! Lucky Kids!)

Contact the Maui Dive Shop in Kehei and ask for Bill Hannon. He did a specialty for me when I was very, very newly certified. He was great. He also works with disabled kids and diving. I've got his email address, but he hasn't emailed me in over a year. Have fun. I love Maui and can't wait till my wife lets me go back.

Call Shaka Doug, you won't regret it.

You have a great idea, but think about diving with your sons during their training dives.

My daughter had a few issues during her dives and, of course, Dad was there to step in and fix things. Wrong!! The instructor called me off and reminded me that she had to do all the skills in order to pass. In one case, she had some trouble changing tanks on the boat while it was rolling a bit.

She also barfed on the DM but that's another story...

Good Luck!

I highly recommend Scuba Shack! Their instructors (Greg, Jay and Paul) are wonderful and the term cattle boat will NEVER apply to What's The Scoop! Charley is the owner and all of the employees are great. We have gone on 2 different boat companies in Maui and nothing compares to Scuba Shack.

Another nod for Shaka Divers from me. Doug has a way of making people that are uncomfortable loosen up and enjoy the experience and that's what diving should be.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom