Maui in Mid-December - Busy time?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Paco II

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I plan to be in Maui mid-December for a little vacation and diving. Just curious how busy things are at that time of year. Curious how much advance planning I need to do and when I need to do it by.

Also, is Extended Horizons out of Lahaina still a good shop? The big bold red phone number on their website homepage is wrong, which is sometimes a bad indication :wink:

Good to know! Seems like the dive shops are always saying it's going to be busy so that you book early.

I remember reading in an old thread that you dive 7mm full during winter. That still the case?

Before Dec. 19 should be very slow.

Good to know! Seems like the dive shops are always saying it's going to be busy so that you book early.

I remember reading in an old thread that you dive 7mm full during winter. That still the case?
A full 3mm suit with booties and reef gloves has kept me warm at all times of the year in maui. Even on 90 minute dives. Check out Mike severns, pro diver, or ed robinsons. They all leave from the Kihei boat ramp. Do you have a place to stay yet? If not we have a condo in Wailea available from Nov 28th - Dec 19th. Palms at Wailea 703 if you want to check it out. Have fun

The biggest reason for booking early is that most operators have a minimum number of divers needed to go out. With this economy, I'd book at least a couple of weeks prior, then plan on re-confirming when I hit the island.

Yes, I did wear a 7mm full suit last winter diving Maui. However, I'm going to be changing to a Pinnacle 5mm Merino lined suit since my husband feels they're as warm as most regular 7mm full suits, and it won't have the buoyancy properties of a 7mm. Hopefully my husband is right and I'll be warm....but I tend to run cold, so I'm not holding my breath. :wink:

Last Christmas break the water was consistently 74-75 degrees, and with diving 2-3 tanks daily, and the weather being cloudy with some rain many days, the core temperature really took a hit. It was really the worst year in the last 9 trips for being cold. Hopefully this winter break is a bit sunnier and warmer. :D

I'll second the recommendation to dive with Ed Robinsons. We've literally done over 50 dives with them over the years and have never had a bad experience. We have a bunch of charters already booked for this year's trip and always look forward to diving with Ed's crew, whom we consider more friends than crew.

Extended Horizons is doing just fine, except for the red phone number on the web site currently.

Try the green number at the end of the bottom line of that page (808)-667-0661. The email works too, and there is no answering service with email, it is the owners. <info@scubadivemaui.com>

Edit/Update - The toll free number is now working again! Mahalo for your consideration :)

Last edited:
Paco II, I was there last December, and while the town certainly wasn't hopping like I was told it was in the pre-9/11 days, what I did find out rather quickly was that the dive boats really did start filling up and fully booking pretty quickly. I waited too long and wasn't able to get on any boats to Molokini, Cathedrals, etc. I wasn't there to dive, so that's OK, but I'd recommend calling ahead and reserving a spot for your trip at least a few weeks before you go.

I just returned from 2 weeks in Maui and yes Extended Horizions is still the way to go. I dove with them whole time I was there. Also make sure to book some shore dives with Keith at Extended as well you will be glad you did. I really enjoyed the night dive at black rock. You can't believe the stuff that comes out at night on this dive. I saw things at black rock that you never see during the day and wouldn't even know they lived there unless you do the night dive. Turtles turtles and more turtles along with eels, lobsters, cardinal fish, squirel fish, soldier fish, and on and on. I am ready to go back for more. You can call them at 808-667-0611 or shoot an email to them at info@scubadivemaui.com

Back
Top Bottom