Maui in January: should I book now?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Geoff, try Ed Robinson's. They're doing a 3-tank charter on Friday, December 28 that might fill the bill for you. They also have regular 2-tank charters on Thursday and Saturday (27th and 29th), but I believe their regular "Dive with Ed" charter on Wednesday the 26th is full (not sure about the other days).
Call 808-879-3584 to book.

My husband will be on the boat on the 27th and 28th, so it would be fun to meet you.

For the regular 2-tank charter, you could also try B&B, Makena Coast Charters, and Dive & Sea. All good companies with good reputations.

You're right, car rental prices are insane during Christmas/New Years! The only way I've ever been able to get excellent prices is to book a year in advance.

The rental car companies have cut back on their inventories a few years back due to the economy and they are charging premium pricing due to their limited supply.

Who wants to try a scooter dive PM me if you do. it's more fun than most boat trips.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

.................Who wants to try a scooter dive PM me if you do. it's more fun than most boat trips.
Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Booked and looking forward to it!

---------- Post added November 29th, 2012 at 09:10 AM ----------

The aforementioned Airport site could work for that. Black Rock would also be a good spot. I intend to dive the heck out of Black Rock while there since our resort is close. Perhaps we'll bump into you Grandpa. When are your dates? We are 10th - 24th.

Cheers

Mark

Mark, I arrive the 9th and leave the 16th and am staying in Kahana. Maybe we can hook up and dive Black Rock, Old Airport, or Mala Pier? I'd love to hit those sites. I'm on a boat Sat (Molokai) and Tues (Ed Robinsons) and have a scooter dive with Greg on Friday. Let me know if you want to dive any of the other days (or Friday afternoon) and I'll send you my contact info.

excellent Mike, we are also going out with Ed Robinson on Tuesday the 15th, a 3 tanker. Same as you?

I'll pm you my contact info. I'm sure we'll be diving Black Rock the weekend prior.

Cheers

Geoff, try Ed Robinson's. They're doing a 3-tank charter on Friday, December 28 that might fill the bill for you. They also have regular 2-tank charters on Thursday and Saturday (27th and 29th), but I believe their regular "Dive with Ed" charter on Wednesday the 26th is full (not sure about the other days).
Call 808-879-3584 to book....

We dived with Ed Robinson's before (when Mike Severns Diving was booked) and had a good time. They were recommended, along with ProDiver Maui. I spent a lot of time talking to the owner of ProDiver (it's a six pack), he only had one day available we wanted, and because of the time of year he had mostly vacation divers (so definitely no backside Molokini). I talked to Charley from Scuba Shack for a while at the Long Beach Scuba show in June, and decided to try him out

The rental car companies have cut back on their inventories a few years back due to the economy and they are charging premium pricing due to their limited supply.

Who wants to try a scooter dive PM me if you do. it's more fun than most boat trips...

All rental car companies are booked now, including the locals (e.g., Kihei Rent-A-Car). My Hertz reservation is over a grand for the week! But I'm glad I have it now

I'd love to do a scooter dive, but my wife would probably kill me since we're already doing 5 days of diving. Maybe next time we're in Maui. Ever go out to the Helldiver Bomber out of Maalea? I've only dived it once (from a boat) and would love to dive it again. Only scooter dive I've done in Maui was up in Kapalua

Our schedule, on the off chance anyone reading this is on any of the same boat dives: December 30 and 31 - Scuba Shack, January 1 - hammerhead dive with Lahaina Divers, January 3 and 4 - Mike Severns Diving. All dives are out of the Kihei ramp early AM, except Lahaina Divers

excellent Mike, we are also going out with Ed Robinson on Tuesday the 15th, a 3 tanker. Same as you?

I'll pm you my contact info. I'm sure we'll be diving Black Rock the weekend prior.

Cheers

Yep I'm on that Tuesday boat!

I book early as a few times I've tried to book last minute (within a week or two) the days I wanted to go out were either already booked full, or there weren't enough divers to go out. I figure If I am on the books early that gives them some motivation to fill the rest of the spots. So scooters on Fri, Molokai for Hammerheads Sat and the 3 dive Ed Robinson trip on Tuesday.

Yep I'm on that Tuesday boat!

I book early as a few times I've tried to book last minute (within a week or two) the days I wanted to go out were either already booked full, or there weren't enough divers to go out. I figure If I am on the books early that gives them some motivation to fill the rest of the spots. So scooters on Fri, Molokai for Hammerheads Sat and the 3 dive Ed Robinson trip on Tuesday.

nice schedule, I'll be curious how that Molokai dive goes for you. We might give it a whirl the following weekend. As for beach diving, we'll probably be out for a dive or two that weekend at Black Rock.

I just got back last week. While I know every dive operator has an off day, Maui seems to be full of very high quality operators. My experience with ones in the Keihei area is that they all seem to know each other. While I was there we had people on the boat from another company whose boat was out for service. I get the feeling there is a lot of cooperation and thats a good thing. If your flexible someone can usually accommodate you.

If you have a few divers most of these companies will do charters after they come in from their regular morning trips.

An expensive option but a few of the hotels have jeeps that are included when you rent some of their larger rooms. Unless its changed you used to get the use of a jeep with a villa at several of the Wailea hotels.

Has anyone used B&B for tank and weight rental? I noticed a ton of their inspection stickers on tanks and service stickers on regulators. I was only in their shop for a few minutes and they were very busy but it seemed like a nice operation.

B&B is excellent for tank and weight rental. Maui Dreams is also fantastic, they always have a lot of tanks ready to go.

Our schedule, on the off chance anyone reading this is on any of the same boat dives: December 30 and 31 - Scuba Shack, January 1 - hammerhead dive with Lahaina Divers, January 3 and 4 - Mike Severns Diving. All dives are out of the Kihei ramp early AM, except Lahaina Divers

I'm going to be in Maui over New Year's - Just signed up for Lanai on Dec 31st and Molokai Jan 1st with Lahaina Divers. See you on the 1st!

Edit - Just booked the Maui Ocean Center shark dive on Jan 2nd. Can't wait!

Last edited:
https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom